VigorAP 700 - Bricked?

• sam.thompson
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Mar 2014 09:38 #1 by sam.thompson
VigorAP 700 - Bricked? was created by sam.thompson
I have a VigorAP 700 (v2) which I'm assuming is bricked. On connecting the power lead, the power light and WLAN light remain constantly on. If I connect a CAT5 cable, the LAN light is also constantly on. I'm unable to ping the device on it's default IP of 192.168.1.2, and I'm seeing no unknown devices in DHCP/ARP.

As described here: http://www.draytek.co.uk/archive/kb_wlan_AP700.html , holding the reset button on the back for 10 seconds produces no effect, and the lights still remain constant. Again, unplugging, rebooting and attempting again as described also produces no result.

Does anyone know of a way to un-brick one of these? Is it possible to re-force the firmware somehow?

Thanks in advance.
Sam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
27 Mar 2014 15:04 #2 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: VigorAP 700 - Bricked?
try reflash it

i am not sure but i think at the ap needs to connected at LAN B ... if not give a try the A1

download from UK support the utility tool (unzip it) & you need to have ready and stand by first and set the AP in TFTP mode so follow the order below to avoid time outs ... but again try first with the LAN B at the ap & if not works try the A1

-Switch/turn off the ap
-Disable temporary firewall at pc you going to use the tool
-use ethernet cable & not via wifi from the pc to the Lan B or A1

-open the utility upgrade tool
- type at IP address (i think) 192.168.1.2 (unless you have changed use that one)
-load the firmware you prefer
-password i think is admin/admin (default) unless you have changed so use that one
- leave there the upgrade tool open & stand by ...

While the ap 800 is off ... press and hold gently the small reset button on the unit & keep gently pressing it ... turn on the ap 800 while the reset button is still under gently press ... and while the leds starts flashing at the ap ... let go the small reset button ... and press the send button at the upgrade tool before the leds at modem stops flashing fast

• sam.thompson
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Mar 2014 17:18 #3 by sam.thompson
Replied by sam.thompson on topic Re: VigorAP 700 - Bricked?
Thanks for your reply.

The issue is with a AP700 rather than AP800, so it only has the one LAN port, but I ran through your suggestions anyway.

When restarting the AP700, holding the reset button appears to make no difference to the lights. They simply come on and stay on constantly, straight away. There is a bit of occasional flickering on the LAN night, but this isn't effected by holding the reset button.

I've tried all sorts of combinations of holding/releasing the reset button, and sending the firmware, both via the LAN and directly connected with a static IP, but it always times-out. At no point am I able to ping the device either, and it doesn't appear on network scans.

I think it may be game over.
Sam

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
27 Mar 2014 18:38 #4 by babis3g
is the same process with every draytek model
most important is (once the firmware tool is set ready) to keep holding the reset button at the ap unit and then while is still under press switch on the ap & then press the send button of the firmware utility tool while the leds flashing fast at the unit
If you getting time out try the password 1234 or if you have changed use it instead the default
also timeouts can happen if you have change the default ip of the ap ... if you did, then write manually at the firmware tool the current ip one and try again
also make sure the pc you are trying to reflash it use wire and is at the same ip range as the ip unit

so timeouts check the ip & pass & make sure you press & hold the reset button then while is under press switch on the unit

• sam.thompson
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Mar 2014 10:13 #5 by sam.thompson
Replied by sam.thompson on topic Re: VigorAP 700 - Bricked?
Thanks again for your reply.

babis3g wrote: most important is (once the firmware tool is set ready) to keep holding the reset button at the ap unit and then while is still under press switch on the ap & then press the send button of the firmware utility tool while the leds flashing fast at the unit

As I mentioned, holding the reset button on the AP700 does not result in the LED's flashing quickly. As soon as I connect the unit, whether the button is held or not, the power and WLAN LEDs come on constantly, straight away.

I'm assuming that this means the device is not entering TFTP mode?

Sam

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
28 Mar 2014 13:04 #6 by babis3g
seems not getting into TFTP mode but the way you are saying is not the correct order to set it into the TFTP mode
turn off (power off) the unit
hold the small reset button with a very small screw driver & still keep holding it (keep pressing the reset button with the screw driver)
with the other hand/finger or someone else if can help Turn on (power on) the ap (at this point both buttons are pressed at the same time)
let off the reset button
the leds should flash fast
press the send button of the utitlity tool
Not works?