• dgeldard
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 May 2014 13:31 #1 by dgeldard
Creating a guest network for 2710 was created by dgeldard
Afternoon all,

Not to great at networks but need some advice. I currently have a 2710 running my wireless network at home. On this network I have several Apple Airport Express's doing music etc. What I would like to do is when people visit the house is to allow them access to my wireless but not access my Apple kit. I thought if I setup a guest wireless network I could allow them access to the net but not be able to see my Apple Airports.

I setup the guest network but now don't know whether it is possible to block the guest network from seeing my Airports. Is this actually possible? Help always gratefully received.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
27 May 2014 19:02 #2 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Creating a guest network for 2710
At the apple you can hide its SSID (name), this will make the apple invisible to users so i think it will not be accessible

If the apple has options such blocking features, perhaps this could make it more easy
come back later at your post because i think are few apple users so they may offer more advice because i don't have the unit to know its features

Another tip may helps is to set different keys for users at the apple.(not the ones which needs to communicate with the 2710)
That means the visitors will use the keys for the guest network of the 2710 but will not able to roam (use the apple) because it has different keys (if they will see the apple name its transmitting and if guests they try to lock at the apple frequency will ask for the different new keys)
However in this case if you want to access the apple your self, you may have to choose it manually each time you want to use its wifi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.