DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Android Wifi Problems

• gungey
  • Topic Author
More
29 May 2014 09:18 #1 by gungey
Android Wifi Problems was created by gungey
I've just bought a new Sony Z2 Android Phone to replace my iPhone 4S (which worked fine).

It's all setup and connected to my 2860 router, however I've noticed that quite often when I browse to websites in Chrome that the webpage loading will hang for 10s or so. I thought it could have been DNS problems (even though my wired PCs and wifes Samsung Note 3 work fine), so I temporarily changed DNS to use Google's OpenDNS. No luck. Then I downloaded a large file on my phone and noticed that it hung for around 10s part way though the download several times (ruling out DNS issues).

I've reset my router, tried all config options I can find (disabling 5Ghz, etc...), but I still have the same problem.

Is there a way I can troubleshoot where the problem is, as this phone seems to work on other WiFi networks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2014 19:11 #2 by fazzauk
Replied by fazzauk on topic Re: Android Wifi Problems
Hi gungey,

This is exactly the same issues as users are having in the following two threads. Seems to be an issue with this router:
http://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19313
http://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19314

Can I ask you to open a support call via the draytek email address. It helps raise awareness with them. There are some beta firmwares out at the moment but so far they have not resolved the issue.

• gungey
  • Topic Author
More
29 May 2014 22:37 #3 by gungey
Replied by gungey on topic Re: Android Wifi Problems
Thanks, I will do so now.

• gungey
  • Topic Author
More
30 May 2014 10:02 #4 by gungey
Is anyone aware of a graphing app that I can install on my Android phone to monitor the connection status? If I can get something like this installed, I can test lots of router config variations and see if anything helps - but manually testing the connection via browsing is too slow, so a graphing app (over a 2 min period) would help speed things up.

• gungey
  • Topic Author
More
30 May 2014 12:34 #5 by gungey
Found one - I use "Ping Tools" and I'm getting around 25% packet loss on wifi devices. I'll do some testing now!

• gungey
  • Topic Author
More
02 Jun 2014 11:00 #6 by gungey
After testing lots of settings, I had no luck. However, I found this post by mikacom:

"I have done a 30/30/30 reset on my 2860n and reflashed 3.7.3.3 rst file through router tools (Not webui). I have not had a wifi drop since i did this an hour ago (it was dropping every 2-5 mins)."

I did the same thing (using the router tools app) and it's now working for me. I have manually configured the same settings I had before (restoring a backup didn't work). I'm now running 3.7.4.1 and it's working fine.