DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Poor wireless throughput on 5Ghz with new 2860N+

• mbdrake76
  • Topic Author
More
01 Jul 2014 19:47 #1 by mbdrake76
Hello,

I've successfully set-up my new 2860N+ router and all is well - except for wireless throughput performance using my MacBook Air.

It seems that on a BT Infinity 70Mbs connection, I can't achieve much more than 56Mbs down, 16Mbs up if I switch to Channel 48. Lower channels (with the possible exception of 40) offer lower performance. On the Home Hub 5 it was pushing much closer to the physical limits of the line, very close to advertised speeds.

Does anybody have any advice on what settings work best with Apple kit?

Firmware is 3.7.4.1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2014 08:36 #2 by admin
56mb/s doesn't sound terrible... Lots of a factors can affect performance... Is it. It fast enough for you? Is 2.4ghz faster for you?

Forum Administrator

• mbdrake76
  • Topic Author
More
02 Jul 2014 15:38 #3 by mbdrake76

admin wrote: 56mb/s doesn't sound terrible... Lots of a factors can affect performance... Is it. It fast enough for you? Is 2.4ghz faster for you?

The consumer level wireless routers seem to offer better performance - while I appreciate the Home Hub 5 offers 802.11ac, my MacBook Air only supports a maximum of 'n'. The Virgin Super Hub 2 only supports up to 802.11n and yet I can burst up through to ~140Mbs with that.

Haven't tried 2.4Ghz yet, I'll admit. I am in direct line of sight with the router. It may be prudent to use wired connection instead, but I really shouldn't need to do that.

Martyn