• bazcal
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Jul 2014 23:44 #1 by bazcal
2860n+ dual band with ANT-1005 was created by bazcal
Hi,

I'm looking to boost my Wi-Fi performance and am considering the ANT-1005 pack. I've had a look at the new Wi-Fi guide linked to on the forum and think that the 40 Degree 'distribution' would be fine for my house layout. I'd also like to get the best out of 5GHz.

All the docs suggest they are specifically for 2.4GHz, though. Are there any plans to produce a dual-band set, or are they actually dual-band capable?

Many thanks, Barry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
03 Jul 2014 10:15 #2 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2860n+ dual band with ANT-1005
You may see many opinions on that, but this is my personal - in general for antennas:

I think it needs dual band antennas really but there is not any good quality out there to be honest, i have seen users ( not in here) a normal antenna worked good & for the 5 G band ... as a designed dual band

The 5.8 G band is VERY close to 2.4 it will work & for the 5G band but not sure if you get the best out of it, (that depending many factors mimo or other technology, dbi etc) ... Personal i believe it should not have huge loose in signal really for the 5G

Using a directional antenna with mimo ( i think the 2860 use mimo) it may needs a specially made for, and i think the one draytek has (ant-1005) it does complete the mimo requirement
As there is not very big difference between the 2.4 & 5 G band the ant-1005 will work and for the 5 G band but there is a case it may not get the best out of 5 G band as you wish

Draytek offering the directional antennas for the 2860 as accessory , my guess is they must have tested ... so it should be fine (look at accessories tab)
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-2860

If you want more details, i would say to email the support
info@draytek.co.uk or http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/techquery
If you ever need look around apart the ant-1005, at least make sure is designed for mimo like the ant-1005

More
03 Jul 2014 11:15 #3 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2860n+ dual band with ANT-1005
Unless an aerial is designed for dual-band it is not suitable- it will be inproperly matched.

Forum Administrator

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
03 Jul 2014 13:45 #4 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2860n+ dual band with ANT-1005

admin wrote: Unless an aerial is designed for dual-band it is not suitable- it will be inproperly matched.

Thanks, there is also a VERY good guide from Draytek here
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19065#p78989
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-wlan-antenna-theory

• bazcal
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Jul 2014 23:57 #5 by bazcal
Replied by bazcal on topic Re: 2860n+ dual band with ANT-1005
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I'd read the Wi-Fi guide before my first post but it was worthwhile pointing it out again. Interesting reading.

I was hoping that the various Draytek antennae were dual-band-capable and they'd just omitted the detail from the website. They have been selling dual-band routers and APs for a while now and since the 2860n+ and AP-900 can do simultaneous dual band, I thought the products were mature enough that the accessories would have 'kept up'. Guess not.

I live in an old house and 2 of the internal walls are .5m thick sandstone/rubble construction. This really drops the throughput of the networking, with the 5GHz being hit harder than the 2.4GHz. I can see me ending up with the 2860n+ in the middle and 2x AP-900s, one at each end of the house. Luckily, being an old house, the floorboards have been up so often that running Cat-6 to proper wall-plates through the house has been fairly easy.

Thanks again. Barry.

More
04 Jul 2014 06:04 #6 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2860n+ dual band with ANT-1005
DrayTek don't manufacturer the antennae themselves; there are a lot of 'bad' dual band aerials
out there - i.e. ones which lose in performance what they claim to gain in gain. The ones
they tested so far were not good enough, as I understand it.

Forum Administrator