DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP900 rebooting when specific client connects

• irksome
  • Topic Author
More
08 Jul 2014 19:33 #1 by irksome
I've been having an issue which Draytek are helping me with, but I'd thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone has any bright ideas.

2860 with 2 managed AP900's. Each of the AP900 has one or two other devices connected to it via the inbuilt switch.

It all started off apparently fine and for the first couple of days after deployment there were no reported issues. Then one of the users reported that his (wired) PC was repeatedly dropping off the network. Its a new building, so I'd expected some faulty wiring was to blame and got the structured cabling team back in to check. They couldn't find any issue however, other than one possibly faulty patch lead. Then the only other PC that is wired into the other AP900 started to experience the same symptoms - at apparently the same time. Additionally the Vodafone (notso)SureSignal that is also attached to the AP900 switch started to appear to have issues.

I soon identified that the AP900's were occasionally rebooting. Firmware was upgraded on both AP's and on the 2860, but still the issue persisted. We looked at whether something was going on with the PoE but it appears not to be the cause. Today however I've done some further testing, and turned off one of the AP's whilst trying to identify the cause. It was coincidental that one of the users went out soon after I'd turned off one of the AP's. But what occurred was that the AP was stable for an hour ... so I thought it was somehow related to the 2 AP's. But then the user came back, and resumed his Macbook Pro from sleep - as soon as it connected to the AP, the AP then rebooted and continues to do so every couple of minutes that this client is connected.

I don't know why this is happening, but my theory is now that this Mac causes the AP to restart - it looses the wireless signal so it then connects to the other AP which is in range. This then flip flops and causes the AP to both cycle / reboot.

So anyone seen anything like this before? Other Apple Mac clients can connect to the network without apparently causing the same issue.

MTIA - Irksome

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• irksome
  • Topic Author
More
04 Feb 2015 18:21 #2 by irksome
Just to update anyone coming accross a similar scenario ... it was the Draytek PoE switch that was causing all the PoE to drop out for a few seconds!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.