DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2850VN - Apple WiFi Issues?

More
29 Sep 2014 18:25 #1 by scran
2850VN - Apple WiFi Issues? was created by scran
Appreciate this may be in another thread but having searched can not find a correlation. I have a 2850VN connected to BT Infinity - I have replaced the BT Hub and Open Reach modem which I know you are not supposed but believe this to be more reliable. Generally external connectivity is fine however......

Since removing the BT bog kit when the family are all on line and particularly when Apple devices (iPone 5 / iPad / iMac) their connectivity seems to drop frequently. The more devices connected, the worse this occurs. This is driving us mad and causing arguments over BT vs. another ISP however I have checked that when the outages occur, my PC connected via Ethernet does not have a disconnect and the Draytek shows the VDSL as up.

Question is could there be a channel overlap/conflict (can see a 3x other SSIDs but we live fairly detached area so not loads ), or are the Apple products doing something different that I need set? The router WMM settings are as per most on the 2850 as per default. We have 12 devices max that would ever connect at the same time, normally only 3 to 5, so confused what is causing the issue.

Many thanks for wisdom and inspiration.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
29 Sep 2014 23:44 #2 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2850VN - Apple WiFi Issues?
in my opinion maybe firmware issue either the latest ios or from the 2850, latest is 3.6.6.1 if helps you (which has and some security issues fix)
you can also try some different combination settings at Wireless LAN >> Advanced Setting

• pjarrett
  • User
  • User
More
22 Nov 2014 16:17 #3 by pjarrett
Replied by pjarrett on topic Re: 2850VN - Apple WiFi Issues?
I'll chip into this

I have a 2850 on 3.6.6.1 and my computer cant see my apple tv, computer is wired and apple tv is wireless, if I replace the 2850 with the old 2820 on its last firmware then it works fine.
to use the system with the 2850 I have to use a wifi adapter in the pc and connect to the wifi to see the apple tv. Everything else works fine, all the wireless kit tv, xbox one, ps3 etc can see the wired dlna server and my pc can see them, the only thing affected is the apple tv (model 1 on 3.0.2 fw)

That and my ipad drops out all the time, everything else just works.

More
24 Nov 2014 12:16 #4 by kanthoney
Replied by kanthoney on topic Re: 2850VN - Apple WiFi Issues?
Is there an iOS keep alive setting anywhere? There is in the 810 access point we just bought, and that helped with a similar issue we were having.

• himmon
  • User
  • User
More
07 Jan 2015 16:38 #5 by himmon
Replied by himmon on topic Re: 2850VN - Apple WiFi Issues?
I have exactly the same issue, same router, same ISP and using the latest 3.6.6.1 firmware TFTP'd and factory reset.
ALL my Apple products drop off the wifi continuously with his router, perfectly fine with android devices, TV's, Printers, PC's etc etc,

I have logged this issue with Draytek way over a year ago, still haven't got this resolved. Pretty appalling for a £250 piece of hardware which apart from its hate of every Apple is truly a great piece of kit.

If anyone else has any other tip, would be greatly appreciated?

List of my apple devices that do not work with this router.
2xApple TV 3
Ipad 3
Iphone 4s
MacBook Pro

Cheers
Nathan

• j1mbo
  • User
  • User
More
12 Jan 2015 08:18 #6 by j1mbo
Replied by j1mbo on topic Re: 2850VN - Apple WiFi Issues?
Please see also my similar thread: http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19860

I do have Apple devices on the network as well; if you are near anywhere selling the TP-Link WR710 I'd suggest picking one up and using that for your wireless (as an access point), instead of the Draytek and seeing how that goes. They are about £15 only at the moment in Currys, Sainsburys and elsewhere and can be very easily re flashed with OpenWRT as well.

Hope that helps.