Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor2860n SSID2 clients lose wifi connection on idle

• bredbored
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Oct 2014 16:05 #1 by bredbored
I have a small Guest House and have installed a Vigor 2860n specifically to provide two distinct wifi networks, one for us internally and a second for guest use, in place of the BT Business Hub.

The router is running the not-quite-current 3.7.3 firmware and connected to a BT Infinity feed. The Infinity link is solid and reliable and the service to my wired PCs and servers similarly good. All ethernet connections are proveded for our own use; guests are wifi only.

SSID1 is set aside for our own wifi usage. The majority of our gear - ether and wifi - is mapped in the "Bind IP to MAC" table so their local IPs are fixed. The only exception is our iPad which I've put on the Guest SSID to investigate occasional complaints from guests...

SSID2 is the "public" one, the name and password given out to guests for their use. "Isolate Member" and "Isolate VPN" are ticked for this SSID, and I have also applied Rate Controls. Security is Mixed WPA/ WPA2 with PSK.

There is generally no problem connecting to SSID2, signal is good throughout the building. The issue arises when you've done a bit of browsing or email downloading etc. and you let your tablet or phone go idle, a problem I replicate precisely with my iPad. When the iPad is opened again (after a minute, or an hour, or 12 hours etc) it appears to have a solid wifi link but actually reports "no internet connection" when you open a browser or mail client. This is resolved promptly by e.g. opening the wifi Settings page and bouncing wifi off and on; it renegotiates a connection and all is well until the next time it goes to sleep. I don't believe this is limited to Apple clients - guests with Android handsets also report the problem.

I don't feel it's correct to have to bounce your connection every time you want to connect. Under the DHCP settings I have tried enabling "auto remove inactive clients" for SSID2 without obvious effect. Is my sketchy knowledge of the settings allowing me to miss something to resolve this? Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Kingsley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
05 Oct 2014 17:10 #2 by babis3g
You can try some combination settings at wireless > advanced settings such long/short preamble, guard etc
Back up your data just in case you roll back firmware & try download latest firmware 3.7.4.3 ( i recommend the rst file extention which reset all settings for a clean install)
or try this if will work for you
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19313&start=80#p80325

It could also just be the current ios of the ipad/iphone (i have seen at apple, some complaints about ios 6 i think)

• bredbored
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Oct 2014 15:27 #3 by bredbored
Hi babis3g, and any others watching this - thanks for the suggestions.

After a short loss of broadband service from the lovely BT I've progressed the ticket raised with Draytek on my wifi problem. A couple of tests this afternoon suggest that it's better, in that a sleeping client when woken automagically resumed browsing and email collection without needing to be manually bounced from the router.

The main suggestions followed were; install 3.7.4.2 firmware (which I did without a reset, i.e. using .all); drop and re-create the problematic SSID network; amend the security settings; check the broadcast Channel is otherwise free nearby.

As I say this appears to be successful.

Kingsley