Setting up openwireless.org

• simmondp
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Nov 2014 15:17 #1 by simmondp
Setting up openwireless.org was created by simmondp
OpenWireless.org is an Internet project encouraging people open their own wireless router See: https://openwireless.org

These instructions are for a Vigor 2830 Series Router

In this setup we are using VLAN’s for segregating the home and guest traffic; please note that VLAN’s are fairly good for this, but are designed for traffic segregation/management and NOT security.

Under [LAN][General Setup]
  • Using LAN 1 for our normal home usage (in my case 192.168.2.x), with LAN 2 enabled for openwireless.org.
    Click on the [Details Page] for LAN 2.
    The “Guest LAN” is configured as 192.168.4.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
    Set the DHCP Server for this LAN for 128 IP Pool Counts, and point the Gateway IP Address to the LAN1 address of the router (in this case) 192.168.2.1.
    The Lease Time is set for 8 hours (28800 seconds) and the “Retrieve IP’s from inactive clients” is checked.

Next Set the VLANs
We are using VLAN0 and VLAN1 for our internal traffic, with VLAN2 (with a VLAN ID [VID] Tag of 2) being used for the openwireless.org traffic.
We will be using VLAN ID 2 later with a couple of external Access Points, but we are also assigning the routers internal wireless SSID4 to VLAN 2 only.
  • Set VLAN0 enabled for all ports and Home SSID's with the VLAN Tag "unchecked"
    Set VLAN1 enabled for all ports and Home SSID's with the VLAN Tag "checked" and a VID = 1
    Set VLAN2 enabled for all ports and the openwireless.org SSID (in my case SSID4) with the VLAN Tag "checked" and a VID = 2

Bandwidth Limit
Enable the Bandwidth Limit function, and I have mine set to 300M Up and Down for the internal home traffic (192.168.2.x) and 200k UP and 800k down (shared) for the guest (openwirless.org) traffic (192.168.4.x).
You can of course choose to be more or less generous for your guests!

Internal Wireless configuration
I am running two additional AP’s on the 2.4GHz (normal) band, and so run my router on the 5GHz band – if this is your only AP offering openwireless.org I would suggest you set the Channel to “Mixed 11g + 11n” (2.4GHz)
  • On the [Wireless LAN][General Setup] page set your guest SSID (in my case SSID 4) to openwirelss.org and check the “Isolate Member” box
    On the [Wireless LAN][Security] page, set the security for SSID 4 to “disable”
    On the [Wireless LAN] [Bandwidth Management] page, set SSID 4 Upload and download limits to match the limits you set in “Bandwidth Management” above – in my case 200k upload and 800k download.

Router Management
On the [System Maintenance][Management] page, I would recommend to disable LAN access control from LAN2, LAN3 and LAN4 so the router can only be configured from a station on your home LAN (LAN1).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• simmondp
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Nov 2014 15:18 #2 by simmondp
Replied by simmondp on topic Re: Setting up openwireless.org - part 2
Due to the 3000 character limit - here is the final part of this post

Finally if you are using external access points
I use two TP-Link AP’s to provide extra coverage on the 2.4GHz band; but the concept is the same for most brands out on the market.
Set the Operation Mode to “Multi-SSID” and then define an SSID (with no security) as openwireless.org with a VLAN ID of 2.
Set your internal / home SSID(s) with a VLAN ID of 1.

Verification
Connect to each AP in turn, ensuring that;
  • Connecting to your home SSID you are allocated an address of 192.168.2.x, and; Running a speed-test you get full throughput
    Connecting to the SSID openwireless.org you are allocated an address of 192.168.4.x, and; Running a speed-test you get the throttled throughput you defined

Thoughts / corrections / improvements appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.