• eskdale
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Dec 2014 16:48 #1 by eskdale
AP900 and Roaming was created by eskdale
Does anyone have experience of using the AP900 with roaming

I have 3 off AP900's which to the best of my knowledge are configured correctly for roaming
all have an SSIDs configured for 802.1x on both 2.4 and 5GHz and all have roaming enabled

I have one of the AP900's configured with the Radius server and the other 2 pointing to this one for their Radius server authentication

I have tried with an HTC one (M7) Android 4.4 using the 5G SSID and it connects to any of the AP900's via 802.1x but when I move from 1 to the other it can take 1- 2 minutes for it to reconnect to the new AP-900. I get exactly the same results using my iPhone 4s with ios7 using the 2.4G SSID

Is it because these clients don't support it or do I have something wrong. The Draytek docs only seem to mention Windows. But I'm not in the habit of moving my Desktop around and expecting it to remain connected to the WiFi its the mobile devices that I need to work. This was the selling point for me buying AP900's rather than cheaper AP's. So I hope someone could point me in the right directions. I did do a search and one person seem to ask a similar question but there was no answer. In fact a get much shorter loss of of connection if I don't use 802.1x and roaming

Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• eskdale
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Dec 2014 18:23 #2 by eskdale
Replied by eskdale on topic Re: AP900 and Roaming
Some more info - Tried an iPad running iOS 8.1, on Roaming5G SSID. Playing Tunein Radio started in range of AP900-0 moved to AP900-1 OK and onto AP900-2 and back to AP900-1 radio played without a break but moved back close to AP900-0 and iPad lost WiFi. The WiFi symbol at the top of the screen disappeared completely and Tunein Radio shows as connecting .... But iPad settings screen shows it connected to Roaming5G full signal strength. iPad Mac address was listed in the AP900-0 5GHz station list but 15 minutes later iPad still has no connection although it shows as connected to Roaming5G however now not showing in station list!!

Turn off iPad WiFi and back on and it immediately connects. Interestingly the phones go via a 3G phone data connection (wifi->3G->wifi) which is probably the same as turning WiFi off and on. So what is wrong with the AP900's. Any ideas Thanks Jon.

• eskdale
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Dec 2014 17:05 #3 by eskdale
Is there anyone that has the Roaming working?

As far as I can tell it just does not work. I've tried now with a Windows 8.1 laptop and that does not work either
I've tried using different Radius servers and still no Joy.

I've emailed Draytek support last week and still got nothing from them.
Do I give up or can someone confirm that they have it working?

Thanks

Jon

• macavity
  • User
  • User
More
21 Dec 2014 01:29 #4 by macavity
Replied by macavity on topic Re: AP900 and Roaming
All SSID's are the same?

• eskdale
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 Dec 2014 11:16 #5 by eskdale
Hi Macavity - Yes all the SSID's are the same.

I have now established contact with the Draytek support. My conclusion and I hope they agree with me is that it just does not work.
I have now updated the firmware to 1.1.5RC4 which they sent me to try which is an improvement but in my opinion the roaming still does not work properly. You can even see in the syslog that it fails to find the key when it has the correct key and later decides that it does have it after having disconnected the client from the wifi for 5 mins!!

I am just curious as the AP900 has been out for a while now - does anyone have the Roaming working correctly, just in case it is something specific to my setup.

By the way the 1.1.5 release looks to have a couple of interesting new features and most importantly it supports the full range of channels on the 5G band compared to only 4 on the 1.1.4 release.

If anyone does have Roaming working well please let me know and Happy Christmas to all.

Jon

• sicon
  • User
  • User
More
22 Dec 2014 11:55 #6 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: AP900 and Roaming
I've got it working on various sites - They all used Server 2012 as the Radius Server though with Active Directory and a 2860/2925 managing the Access Point profiles.
Does it make a different if you enable the ios Keep Alive?