Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2820Vn WiFi Suddenly Stopped Working

• freelancealot
  • Topic Author
More
19 Feb 2015 05:50 #1 by freelancealot
Vigor 2820Vn WiFi Suddenly Stopped Working was created by freelancealot
Hi,

I've been away from home for three weeks---Draytek was switched off for that time. WiFi was working when I switched it off. I unplugged it from the wall while I was away.

When I came back and plugged it in, LAN is working but Wireless is not. I keep getting an alert pop-up saying Could not join "Draytek" A connection timeout occurred.

I tried to upgrade firmware from Firmware Version: 3.2.0 to 3.3.5.2 via the web firmware upgrade function but it said the file name was wrong. It was v2820_3375_2471201_A.all (I downloaded it from the Draytek website and haven't changed the name). So that was a fail.

So I rebooted using Factory defaults and got the LAN and Internet access back up and running, but still getting the connection timeout message on Wireless Lan.

Please help. Love my Draytek, and it's essential to my business. I'm back to old ethernet connection at the moment, and really need to get Wireless running again.

In case it's of any help there is no security on it at the moment after the factory reset, but it was on TKIP for WPA/AES for WPA2 before I did the reset. Also, in case it's any connection, I did have an Android phone and an Android tablet connecting via WiFi, but the tablet was having real difficulties and most of the time wasn't connecting to the Draytek, although it was in the available networks list.

Hope that's enough info.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Tracy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
19 Feb 2015 15:25 #2 by babis3g
to update follow the released notes
I

MPORTANT NOTE: Do not upgrade directly from 3.3.5 (and earlier) to 3.3.7.5.
Due to differences in the Web UI and functionality the router MUST first be
upgraded to 3.3.5.2 prior to upgrading to 3.3.7.6.

try one more time with internet explorer, the reason i think is because such old firmware you still have, at that times only internet explorer would work for firmware updates
You can get latest 3.3.7.6 from here
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2820/Firmware/v3.3.7.6/Vigor2820_v3.3.7.6_AnnexA/
Is the same, just use the same modem code & the *rst* file extension is recommended for a clean instal (will set everything back to factory defaults)

For the wifi issue try set a channel (example 1) and turn off all devices & the modem (after the change) then turn on & try again
Or clear your pc browser cache & try another SSID name

If still issues try register your favour devices if helps
https://www.draytek.co.uk/archive/kb_vigor_dhcpfix.html

Some tips here for android devices
http://www.smartmobilephonesolutions.com/content/cant-connect-to-wifi-on-android-smartphone

• freelancealot
  • Topic Author
More
19 Feb 2015 18:47 #3 by freelancealot
Replied by freelancealot on topic Re: Vigor 2820Vn WiFi Suddenly Stopped Working
Hi,

1) I don't have Internet Explorer on my Mac :( And I think last time I did the upgrade it was on a Mac, I'm pretty sure.

So if it's a browser issue, you think I can upgrade using the 3.3.5 firmware upgrade file using a 3-party TFTP client software on my Mac? Maybe that's how I did it last time, it's so long ago I can't remember!

2) Yes, I downloaded the firmware upgrade file for 3.3.5 and that's the one that has failed to upgrade.

Is it possible to upgrade from 3.2.0 to 3.3.5.2 or do I need an earlier firmware upgrade, and if so where do I get that from?

Thanks for your time.

Tracy

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
19 Feb 2015 20:54 #4 by babis3g
1-
ahhh sorry, i am not familiar with mac, no idea
Perhaps try with any other alternative browser
For tftp tool you can try router tools for mac from draytek, here
http://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_jumi&view=application&fileid=17&Itemid=586&lang=en

a member here has post a guide for mac with the correct order and perhaps is suggesting an other tool
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19380&p=80102&hilit=firmware+utility+tool&sid=f81d7ea86bf23f4310c881927f595ce5#p80117

2-
sorry my mistake, 3.3.5.2 is the file draytek reccomending prior to latest & you can get almost all files from here (just can not see 3.2.0) & use the Annex A
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2820/Firmware/

Perhaps try first 3.3.0 or any other file up to 3.3.5 ... & then 3.3.5.2 & then latest

• freelancealot
  • Topic Author
More
20 Feb 2015 01:48 #5 by freelancealot
Replied by freelancealot on topic Re: Vigor 2820Vn WiFi Suddenly Stopped Working
Hi

Thanks for the link to FTP. I think that sounds like a good idea---I'll go for 3.3.0 first via tftp. A gentle upgrade :)

I shall do it tomorrow. Wish me luck.

cheers,
Tracy