DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Best Practice for simultaneous WiFi (2G/5G)

• zdz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Mar 2015 11:34 #1 by zdz
Couldn't find a definitive answer in the search...

What would be the best wiFi practice for a dual-band router (2860n+) and offering clients both 2G and 5G Wifi?

If I create the same SSID/password on the 2G and 5G channels, will the (compatible) clients roam between the two bands? What will make them chose the faster channel? (5G?)
I have currently created and and specifically connected the 5G compatible devices to the 5G channel. I'm not sure that would be the best practice.

I guess if the clients have the ability to choose the fastet connection available to them that would negate having to have two SSIDs.

Can anyone recommnd the best practice for WiFi setup.

Note; this is a domestic environment, I will also be creating a similar _guest SSID based on best practice too.

Thanks for reading.

-=zdz=-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2015 20:25 #2 by admin
It seems to be entirely variable and unpredictable which a client will choose. Giving them the same name will make it harder to tell which they're using, or for them to deliberately choose one. A big sign might be best "users with 5Ghz capability are encouraged to connect to wifi_5g for best performance "

Forum Administrator

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
09 Mar 2015 03:24 #3 by babis3g
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2224176/ssid-4ghz-band-5ghz-band.html#13745833
http://www.quora.com/What-are-the-benefits-and-disadvantages-of-using-different-SSIDs-for-2-4ghz-and-5ghz-bands-on-the-same-router

• zdz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Mar 2015 09:10 #4 by zdz
Thanks for the replies chaps.

Will probably stick with two different SSIDs; 2G/5G