DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Obtaining maximum data rate with 2.4 & 5Ghz use?

• allat39
  • Topic Author
More
13 Mar 2015 23:33 #1 by allat39
Hi,

To get the maximum data transfer, my understanding is that both the send and receive units need be able to send and receive on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands at the same time.

But am I right - is my understanding wrong? Does that mean I can make a dual concurrent connection to the same device?

Assuming that a laptop is 802.n equipped, what is the main setting that a new Vigor router or AP900 needs to be 'turned on' or configured, so that both the 2.4 and 5Ghz SSID's work concurrently to give the maximum thruput between router and laptop?

I am not clear what needs configuring to make it different from just making a connection to the 2.4 or 5Ghz SSID only.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sicon
  • User
  • User
More
16 Mar 2015 16:27 #2 by sicon
Im not really sure what you are asking as you cant connect 1 device to the 2.4g and the 5g at the same time unless you have 2 Wifi NICS.

The 2860 and AP900 are MIMO so you can have multiple clients connecting on both 2.4 and 5Ghz

802.11N is the mode regardless of what channel you connect too.

From experience I find that you get a better range with 2.4 but if the line of site to the WAP is clear then 5G performs better/faster (usually as its less congested)

• allat39
  • Topic Author
More
16 Mar 2015 19:24 #3 by allat39

sicon wrote: Im not really sure what you are asking as you cant connect 1 device to the 2.4g and the 5g at the same time unless you have 2 Wifi NICS.

The 2860 and AP900 are MIMO so you can have multiple clients connecting on both 2.4 and 5Ghz

802.11N is the mode regardless of what channel you connect too.

From experience I find that you get a better range with 2.4 but if the line of site to the WAP is clear then 5G performs better/faster (usually as its less congested)

Thanks for the clarification.
What you say makes sense - that you would need two Wi-Fi NIC's to get two signals in at the same time.. I missed that completely! :o

:idea:
Following up what you said it is apparent my understanding was wrong, and my understanding now is that the maximum speed of the hardware is 'available' by default. (If I'm still wrong please tell me)
Any connection (e.g. the Laptop to Router) causes the rate to be adjusted between the two devices automatically up to the maximum 300 rate - regardless of whether that is at 2.4 or 5Ghz.
The channels are there to provide a clean band away from other wifi channels in use, and do not affect the speed (unless they are prone to interference)

Thank you again, and for the range tip on 2.4Ghz