• sidewinder
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
30 Apr 2015 21:12 #1 by sidewinder
AP900/Vigor 2860Vn+ roaming set up. was created by sidewinder
Hello,

I have just been reading some threads on setting up wireless "roaming" with AP900's and it does not seem that easy, nor reliable?

I am new around here and struggling with forum etiquette and the Draytek kit so please humour me!

I have just, today, purchased an AP900 to extend the wireless range of my 2860Vn+.
I have managed to set up the 2860 OK so far for use without the AP900, I have had the 2860 working OK for may be nearly a year now.

Now, I do Engineering as a job, but, I don't do this networking stuff, so any help and advice would be seriously appreciated.
My stuff is more machine repair/design and PLC programming kind of stuff.

I was kind of hoping that setting the AP900 up to connect via wired Ethernet as an access point (?) or repeater (?), not sure of the correct term, would be easy.

I was wrong, it seems?

For now until I can get to understand more, if anyone would like to help I would appreciate it.

If, I set up the AP900 to mimic the SSID & passwords etc. of the 2860 then will this work?

Mind, I do have two separate networks, one "internal" one guest.
The "guest" on the 2860 is wireless only.
The wired is only for "internal" clients & it has a wireless "arm" also.

Now if I set up 2 wireless SSID's copying those on the 2860, "guest" & "internal" but, connect these down the "internal" wired system, then will they stay separate, or would the "guest" network then have access to the "internal" network?
The two networks do use two separate IP ranges, and the guest network on the 2860 has isolated network & isolate client set.

I have searched for about 3 hours now for a tutorial that is easy to follow & that I understand and failed.
I did think about the RADIUS route but, how can I set up a RADIUS server on the 2860 for both wireless networks, the "guest" & the "internal"

This is just really confusing me!

Could I please ask can someone, please give me some advice & guidance?

Even where to look for further guidance (that I can understand)! ;)

I would really appreciate it, thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sicon
  • User
  • User
More
01 May 2015 10:56 #2 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: AP900/Vigor 2860Vn+ roaming set up.
Roaming between a 2860 and an AP900 isn't supported - for the "roaming" feature to work you need multiple AP900s.

Yeah people say if you set the same channel and SSID they "roam" but its more down to the client then picking up the connection that is closest -there is no fast offload and there is likely to be a short break in the connection.

• sidewinder
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 May 2015 19:45 #3 by sidewinder
Replied by sidewinder on topic Re: AP900/Vigor 2860Vn+ roaming set up.
Thank you, I did not realise that.

Perhaps I can live with the pseudo "roaming" feature of duplicated SSID's as a start.
I realise that it is not true roaming, but the area is not that big it just has poor wireless coverage and as yet we can't move the 2860 to improve it.
This is being worked on, the idea was to use PoE & AP900's (one first as a trial) to extend & enhance the wi-fi.
My fault for not understanding and fully researching this. :oops:

Does anyone know if I an I run 2 separate SSID's "guest" and "internal" down an "internal" wired connection and get them "separated" again at the 2860 please?

I just wanted to boost the wireless range of the 2860 & I thought that this would have been the best way.

Perhaps I should have bought some cheap plug in things that can apparently "clone" wireless networks?

I do wish I understood more about this, I need to find the time to learn I think

Thanks again, and thanks in advance for anyone who can help with this question.

• sicon
  • User
  • User
More
05 May 2015 10:04 #4 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: AP900/Vigor 2860Vn+ roaming set up.
Yeah you can run multiple networks down one connection.
Best way to do it to Enable VLAn on the 2860, create the 2nd (guest network) and give it a tag number - Leave LAN1 as default.
when you create the 2nd SSID on the AP900 give it the same tag number as LAN2.

Imagine both lans are on Port1