DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860ac (and 2860n+) - Same SSID for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

• destroyer
  • Topic Author
More
28 Jun 2015 00:10 #1 by destroyer
Does anyone know if the Draytek firmware tries to steer clients to 5Ghz band if they are capable?

Would like to use same SSID for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2015 09:22 #2 by piste basher
I use the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5 (2860n+, AP900 and AP710), but I don't think the Drayteks can "persuade" clients to use 5, that seems to be down to the client?

• destroyer
  • Topic Author
More
28 Jun 2015 13:40 #3 by destroyer
Some vendors (or at least one vendor I know of) can steer the clients to 5Ghz by rejecting their connection attempts to the 2.4Ghz band a few times to try encourage them to try the 5Ghz band. Eventually it will let them on 2.Ghz if they keep trying. Works quite well.

I've had to seperate the SSIDs for now, because my phone is landing on 2.4Ghz when it is 5Ghz capable (and performs better on the 5Ghz too).

More
29 Jun 2015 09:57 #4 by voodle
That's called band steering, I agree it would be really nice if the dual band APs & routers supported it because the difference between 2.4GHz and 5GHz is very significant in my experience (due to interference).

• sevilla315
  • User
  • User
More
21 Oct 2015 22:59 #5 by sevilla315
Another very interesting post.
I've just raised a support call regarding my wifi on my new 2860 dropping out and not reconnecting.
I had not bothered to setup 5ghz after upgrading 5 months ago but yesterday we had no wifi all day so I decided to try setting up the same info I had on 2.4 (dumped it out to file and just loaded it back in into 5ghz, changing the name of the file). The devices all connected straight away.
Overnight they disconnected and couldn't reconnect, but I think it was due to another problem with hidden SSIDs, so I disabled 2.4Ghz, unhid the SSID on 5Ghz and the devices reconnected again. I'll see what happens overnight again.

More
18 Nov 2015 19:57 #6 by gbrown100
Band Steering has appeared in the latest released of the AP-910 so I'm hoping that it will appear in the 2860ac next... No news so far but here's hoping.