Wireless Guest Hotspot - Multiple users

• ghostworks
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Jul 2015 12:59 #7 by ghostworks
Replied by ghostworks on topic Re: Wireless Guest Hotspot - Multiple users
Cisco does look good, however for my Situation on my network topology ( new installation in 3 months for a guest house ) and my experience in my other network which is also a guesthouse, keeping it simple yet reliable is Key so new guests and current ones don't have login issues etc

Current system and setup is as follows :

4 x Draytek AP700 airstations on each floor with 7dbi Antennae's ( Open SSID unsecure )
1 x Netgear GS110TP
1 x 1U Rackmount Untangle server with 6 port switch ( login captive portal page )
1 x Draytek 3900 Router ( LAN2 for Guest network )

Guests on current setup have a individual logon and password per room basis and can use multiple devices per login

Considering the following on new building :

3 x Draytek AP900 airstations ( with or without the higher gain 7dbi antennae's )
1 x PoE Switch
1 x Draytek 2860Vac when launched or Draytek 2860ac ( with external antennae's as Router is in a rackmount enclosure )

Would be better for the AP900 Aistation to be secured and does the individual logins to the 2860 central management with portal etc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ghostworks
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Jan 2016 20:01 #8 by ghostworks
New installation up and running...

Draytek Vigor2860ac to 2 x Netgear GS110TPv2 with 4 x Draytek VigorAP900 on each floor

Currently got just a single wifi Logon for Guest and staff ( 1 network )

*Not created a Second VLAN for guests as of yet , trying to keep things more simple and better reliable ( less equipment )
if need be I could do VLAN tag to created 2 networks , or run additional cables for LAN-B on AP900

Any other advice for guest hotspot appreciated

Thanks

More
09 Feb 2016 22:31 #9 by steven_w
Replied by steven_w on topic Re: Wireless Guest Hotspot - Multiple users
I set one up last week, 2860 (no wifi as did you know you should only use the 2860 with APs or turn the wifi off on the router? Apparently this can cause issues)... 4 x AP900 & 1 x AP800 (legacy).

Setup a private LAN on LAN1 (wired) & hid the SSID, used WPS/WPA2 encryption. Then set up guest WIFI on LAN2 with APS on second SSID just using "xxxx guest" with simple 12345678 credentials.

I haven't dug more into the APs capabilities yet, but I have a 2860 at my home office with 2 x AP900s, so will be playing with these over the coming weeks.

Also I always offer remote support & set up a support VPN login within the router. If no static IP I setup a DDNS as well & plumb that in, saves recalls.

I'm installing a 2860 with 10 x AP900s tomorrow, then a 2860 with 4 x AP900s the next day.

I'll report back & maybe we can compare notes!

• ghostworks
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Feb 2016 23:16 #10 by ghostworks
Sounds good , I've just come back from South Africa ,
installed a 2860ac with a 4G USB Dongle in a game reserve ,
no other internet connection , 16 cameras DVR , staff wifi ( 2 laptops , 3 phones ) , guest wifi

Had to setup VPN out to another location that has static due to the
4G mobile doesn't allow DDNS or static IP, due to the mobile phone network utilising CGNAT on mobile coverage
So I get cameras now etc

The AP900 x 4 with the 2860ac seem fine working together, installed 2 x ring door bells ( http://www.ring.com )

My experience with my other building / business has made me thinkto go more of a simple approach
So I only ran 1 network cable to each AP900 on LAN1 (POE) I could in future create another network to separate business and guests but currently it's small 13 rooms and 1 staff member

• ghostworks
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Feb 2016 18:05 #11 by ghostworks

steven_w wrote: I set one up last week, 2860 (no wifi as did you know you should only use the 2860 with APs or turn the wifi off on the router? Apparently this can cause issues)... 4 x AP900 & 1 x AP800 (legacy).

Setup a private LAN on LAN1 (wired) & hid the SSID, used WPS/WPA2 encryption. Then set up guest WIFI on LAN2 with APS on second SSID just using "xxxx guest" with simple 12345678 credentials.

I haven't dug more into the APs capabilities yet, but I have a 2860 at my home office with 2 x AP900s, so will be playing with these over the coming weeks.

Also I always offer remote support & set up a support VPN login within the router. If no static IP I setup a DDNS as well & plumb that in, saves recalls.

I'm installing a 2860 with 10 x AP900s tomorrow, then a 2860 with 4 x AP900s the next day.

I'll report back & maybe we can compare notes!

what issues do you get when you have a 2860Vac using its wifi with 4 x AP900's ?
would it be better to disable the Routers wifi and get another ap900 or a AP910 for that location

• ghostworks
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
12 Mar 2016 09:22 #12 by ghostworks
I can get Radius 802.1x working however when someone logins in they get a Not Trust Certificate warning