• peterdc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Aug 2015 19:07 #1 by peterdc
Hi,

RE: Vigor 2860ac / Firmware 3.7.8.3.

I'm unable to add a certain MAC address to the MAC Address Filter for my Wireless LAN (using the web GUI).

I've added 8 others successfully but for some reason one in particular (Lenovo N500 laptop: 00:22:FA:60:5C:F2) won't save. It's not a case of it being the first or last in the list either, I've tested for this.

When I hit 'Add' it appears in the list, along with the others, but once I hit 'OK' to submit the page, it disappears.

I've also tried spoofing the MAC address on the client WLAN interface (Ubuntu 14.04) and entering the dummy MAC address into the filter list but for some reason can't get this to work either. This could be a Ubuntu problem I guess (even though the network interface details are correctly showing the dummy MAC address).

I'm currently unable to secure my wireless network with a white list as a result.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• peterdc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Aug 2015 19:12 #2 by peterdc
Well, having said all of that, I've now managed to add it but there is in fact a bug where it looses the last MAC address in the list when adding a MAC address.

I added the MAC address I wanted, plus two more after it and hit 'OK' and it saved the first two but dropped the last.

I'm sure I tried this before but maybe only with two MAC addresses at a time. Either way, it looks like a weird bug.

Not sure I can delete this entire thread to save wasting people's time?

• peterdc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Aug 2015 20:16 #3 by peterdc
OK, so there is a bug and it is specific to this MAC address, well sort of.

I believe the router is incorrectly taking '00' for the first octet as a NULL value and moving the following 5 octets along. If you only add one MAC address, it does this and throws it out because the validation believes that you've only entered 5 octets, i.e. an invalid MAC address. If you add two MAC addresses, then it takes the first octet of the second MAC address and makes it the last octet of the first MAC address, thus throwing out the second for the same reason. It'll do this all the way down the list of newly added MAC addresses until the last, which it'll drop on submit. This will of course mean all added MAC addresses are incorrect as they've all been altered.

e.g.
Code:
00:22:FA:60:5C:F2 AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF 11:22:33:44:55:66

would become:
Code:
22:FA:60:5C:F2:AA BB:CC:DD:EE:FF:11

Any ideas? Has anyone come across this?

Don't really want to have to roll my sleeves up and get into SSH commands but I do wonder if this'll be the answer (assuming it's the validation on the form in the web GUI and not a script somewhere in the firmware that's the problem).

Cheers.