2850n - Slow wifi - is there a fix?

• thewinelake
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
12 Oct 2015 23:52 #1 by thewinelake
2850n - Slow wifi - is there a fix? was created by thewinelake
I'm experiencing slow Wifi from MacBooks to the Vigor 2850n - it's about half the speed of a wired connection at about 9Mbps compared to around 25Mbps over ethernet (this is with the computer within 30 cm of the Vigor). This is getting so serious, the children are getting very grumpy - even the normally good natured one...
Just tried upgrading to the latest firmware and it perhaps helped a bit, but that might just be an artefact/noise.
I see there are a number of people reporting similar issues with other Vigor models, but precious few saying "Yes! That fixed it! Marry my daughter!" or similar.
So should I stop trying to bash my head against a brick wall and simply buy an APN? If so, which one (please don't say Vigor!).
Or maybe there is a secret that can only be shared among those with the right handshake?

UPDATE: It is interesting that the iPhone can get 23.79Mbps on speedtest, but the MacBook Pro can only get about 10. This must be some Apple/Vigor incompatibility.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• thewinelake
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
12 Oct 2015 23:57 #2 by thewinelake
Replied by thewinelake on topic Re: 2850n - Slow wifi - is there a fix?
...sorry to reply to myself, but I've come across some old topics that suggest it's that Vigors don't play nicely with Apples and that one should look at getting an APN based on some Broadcom chipset. I've looked at the TP-Link TL-WA901ND but can't yet fathom if that has the same chipset...

...but I bet that there ARE people here (or, more likely, people who used to be here) who HAVE solved the problem with a third party APN.

Beans - spill them!!!!

• sicon
  • User
  • User
More
13 Oct 2015 09:39 #3 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: 2850n - Slow wifi - is there a fix?
Hi What mode is your 2850 in b g or N? Dual or Single Band.

What settings have you tested -2850s are really old but should do better than 9Mb

I have done some speed test here via our year old ish AP900s Vs our Bran new Cisco Meraki.

I don't have a MAC book to test but has done the tests on IPhone and Ipad

There isn't really much in it.... Take into account the AP900 is 802.11x Enterprise encryption linked to Active Directory and the Meraki is just WPA2 at the moment.

Both are running Dual Bands and I am about 25ft from the AP900 and almost directly under the Meraki.

• thewinelake
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
13 Oct 2015 18:26 #4 by thewinelake
Thanks for the ideas. I've noticed that wifi performance with iPhones is just fine, it's the laptops that are the problem

• thewinelake
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Oct 2015 07:36 #5 by thewinelake
Just to let others know, I have come to the following conclusions:

1) If you have a Mac network, you can get better wifi performance more easily with an Airport Express (I've not tried Extreme, but 802.11n is good enough for me)
2) Some Macs have problems with their installs that mean you can't get decent wifi performance whatever router you use!