DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Repeater Mode for BT Wifi extension

• stuey
  • Topic Author
More
09 Dec 2015 15:18 #1 by stuey
Hello,

I am moving home and can't get broadband infinity until 22nd Dec (moving this Friday). I have a 2820Vn and close to the property I am moving to there is a Bt Wifi access point (which I can just about pick up from an upstairs room on a iPhone). I have a Paid BT service so have access to this Free of charge.

I was wondering if it would be possible to use my old 2820Vn as a repeater to boost the signal to the house and have clients connect through it.

Is this at all feasible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as my 4g access is pretty poor there and I don't want to be holding the laptop/ipad/iphone up to the window in one room for a couple of weeks.

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2015 11:50 #2 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Repeater Mode for BT Wifi extension
The Vigor 2820n isn't able to do that unfortunately - it supports WDS which would require setup on the other side of the wireless connection because each AP in a WDS configuration needs to know the MAC address of the other AP.

The Vigor 2860n is able to do this though, it can use its 2.4GHz wireless as an internet connection: http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-wan-wireless

Otherwise, you would need to use an access point that supports Universal Repeater, which connects to a wireless network and repeats it without the other end needing to be aware of it. It's possible that BT have something in place to limit access to that though.

Forum Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.