Adding two AP-900's to existing 2860n Plus router

• dave12489
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Feb 2016 17:38 #1 by dave12489
Hi,
I am about to add two AP-900 access points to this router and would appreciate some advise.

The ground floor currently uses the 2860n Plus Router wireless its self and I plan each of the next two floors to have an AP-900 to extend the coverage.

I want the two existing ssids "Private" and "Guest" to be replicated on each of the two floors with identical wifi profiles.

My questions are:-
1. Is the 2860 router AP wireless broadcasts a part of the central management function or is it exclusively just for AP-900's?
2. Will the load balancing and sharing distribute between the router and the two AP-900's or is it only the AP-900's that are centraly managed?
3. If its not do I have to have a third AP-900 for the ground floor too?

I have watched the web tutorial on central wifi management and am still unsure of some aspects.
Thanks for any help or tips on my first post.
Regards
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sicon
  • User
  • User
More
11 Feb 2016 12:28 #2 by sicon
Hi

Draytek say 2860 needs it's Wifi off and it would be recommended you have another AP900 in it's place
The load balancing only works between the access points.

If you have Auto provision switched on from the 2860 and its enabled on the APs then they will just get the profile once they see then 2860 (as long as the user and passwords match)

• dave12489
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Feb 2016 13:34 #3 by dave12489
Thanks for your reply Sicon much appreciated.

I was trying to avoid buying another AP-900 but understand the solution with three AP-900's with auto provision and set up would be much cleaner and sensible. This is the third 2860 I have installed but it will be the first with the AP-900's.

Regards
Dave