• squirrel
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Apr 2016 13:22 #1 by squirrel
AP-900 Setup (3 APs) was created by squirrel
Hi all,

New to the forum and just seeking some advise with setup.

Just about to order 3 AP-900's for our office. The office is based over 3 floors hence the requirement for 3.

Obviously all 3 units will be wired to our POE switch, but i would like to have them setup in a manor that allows me to move between floors without having to reconnect with the credentials.

Where i get a little unsure is the Operation Mode Config. Correct me if i'm wrong on the below.

1 AP will act as a master of some kind and the others will become salves (so to speak)
Should i be using AP Bridge-Point to Point?

Preferably i would like the AP's to communicate with reach other over ethernet as the distance between them will be too far.

I'm sure this is a fairly straight forward procedure, but seeking some reassurance before i take the task on.

Thanks

EDIT on seconds thoughts, it looks like i should use AP Bridge-WDS?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2016 15:40 #2 by aweaton
Replied by aweaton on topic Re: AP-900 Setup (3 APs)
Assuming you want wireless LAN clients (e.g. laptops, phones, tablets) to be able to move from floor to floor without loosing connectivity...

1) If they're wired to a LAN switch there's no need to use WDS. Use them in AP mode.
2) Have a look at this guide which tells you how to do roaming and more importantly pre-authentication. http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-apm?highlight=WyJyb2FtIl0=&return=6997419

Hope that helps.

• squirrel
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Apr 2016 15:45 #3 by squirrel
Replied by squirrel on topic Re: AP-900 Setup (3 APs)
Thanks aweatom for your reply.

That makes sense, not sure how i missed that option! :oops:

They should arrive tomorrow so will have a go at setting them up. Should be fairly standard apart from the Vlan bits.

• ghostworks
  • User
  • User
More
18 Apr 2016 13:09 #4 by ghostworks
Replied by ghostworks on topic Re: AP-900 Setup (3 APs)
How did the installation Go?
I have 2 locations each using 4 AP-900's getting there config from 2860 router .
all seems fine using same SSID and Passwords for roaming

• squirrel
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 May 2016 08:50 #5 by squirrel
Replied by squirrel on topic Re: AP-900 Setup (3 APs)
Hi there,

Only just realised there was a reply to this, so sorry.

It's gone well'ish. Got 3 running on 2.4ghz no worries. Paired with the ANT-1207 the signal strength is impressive!

The issue i have is i cannot for the life of me get anything connected to these units over 5ghz. Going to make a post now regarding it.