Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Four AP-900 & a 2860 with Secure & Guest wi-fi

• davidmatthewson
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jul 2016 08:30 #1 by davidmatthewson
Four AP-900 & a 2860 with Secure & Guest wi-fi was created by davidmatthewson
Hi

I have a 2860 which works fine and runs two SSISs, one 'secure' and the other 'guest', which use different IP subnets and the 'isolation' feature to keep visitors away from our 'Office' LAN. This all works as expected and I'm now trying to use some AP-900s to 'extend/bridge' these two SSID ranges to more distant parts of the (long & thin) building, but can't get it to work.

I've read all the FAQs I can (but can't find one which matches this scenario) and it seems I can get ONE 900 to act as an extender for both subnets but then NOT use a second 900 to 'daisy chain' them on to extend the range further. If I use Bridge mode, I can get all the 900s to 'see' each other, bouncing off one to the next and the next, but can see how to get BOTH subnets extended.

All the AP-900s need to talk by wi-fi as there is not cat 5 in that part of the building.

Is this even possible and if so, can anyone suggest a guide or FAQ i could use to help illuminate my ignorance?

Many thanks

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2016 09:09 #2 by admin3
This can work with VigorAPs that are connected via cable, using VLAN tags. http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-wireless-guestnetwork-ap

Sadly, this isn't currently possible over wireless because VLAN tags can't be bridged across the wireless interfaces like that - the universal repeater mode connect to the SSID it's connected to and not a second network, so it's only possible to repeat either the guest network, or the internal 'secure' network, not both.

Forum Administrator

• davidmatthewson
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jul 2016 18:40 #3 by davidmatthewson
Replied by davidmatthewson on topic Re: Four AP-900 & a 2860 with Secure & Guest wi-fi
Many thanks for that .. sad.. ;{