• theia
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Aug 2016 11:55 #1 by theia
Power save on AP900 + NTP time? was created by theia
Hi,

I am having some random Internet disconnects which I am investigating.

I am fairly sure that the AP900 is not the guilty party, but can someone confirm if there is a 'power save' feature (and location) on the AP900 ?

Thanks

p.s.
is an appropriate setting for the NTP client pool ntp.org with a five minute update period? I ask because I found it set to Jan on one occasion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2016 09:16 #2 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Power save on AP900 + NTP time?
The power save settings are in [Wireless LAN (2.4/5)GHz] > [WMM Configuration]; once WMM is enabled, the option to enable or disable APSD will appear, which controls wireless power saving on client devices.

The NTP settings should be fine with 5 minutes, it's possible it couldn't access the internet / get DNS when you saw the default date / time.

Forum Administrator

• theia
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
30 Aug 2016 10:36 #3 by theia
Replied by theia on topic Re: Power save on AP900 + NTP time?

admin3 wrote: The power save settings are in [Wireless LAN (2.4/5)GHz] > [WMM Configuration]; once WMM is enabled, the option to enable or disable APSD will appear, which controls wireless power saving on client devices.

The NTP settings should be fine with 5 minutes, it's possible it couldn't access the internet / get DNS when you saw the default date / time.

Thank you.
As part of my investigation, I tried a different router and my issue seems to have now gone.... but.... may I just ask a follow up question to your post?...

WMM was not enabled.
In our 8 user family environment is it worth simply clicking on ENABLE WMM to ease internet bandwidth things or will it introduce unneccessary complications I am not aware of?
For example :
- Using older hardware such as 2011 laptops running W7
- the usual/continual need in the evening to share/balance 4Mb/s limited ADSL2+ bandwidth with up to 8 users (someone wants to watch an online Netflix movie with others wanting to be on Facebook etc..)

( Unfortunately Fibre is not available in our area! :-( )

Thanks in advance

More
30 Aug 2016 16:56 #4 by admin3
WMM is effectively quality of service for wireless and could help with that if wireless throughput is the limitation in that environment.

The router / internet connection seem like they'd be the bigger limitation in that scenario, in which case setting up quality of service on the router might help.

Forum Administrator

• theia
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
30 Aug 2016 17:03 #5 by theia
Replied by theia on topic Re: Power save on AP900 + NTP time?

admin3 wrote: WMM is effectively quality of service for wireless and could help with that if wireless throughput is the limitation in that environment.

The router / internet connection seem like they'd be the bigger limitation in that scenario, in which case setting up quality of service on the router might help.

Thank you. That is very useful.

P.S.
If there's a good FAQ on QOS on the router please let me know, but I will start by re-reading the Vigor2850 manual. (RTM) :-) since I have never dabbled with it.

More
02 Sep 2016 09:40 #6 by admin3
There's some good information here: http://www.draytek.co.uk/archive/kb/kb_qos.html
It's an older guide at this point but the information in there is still relevant.

Forum Administrator