2860 streaming video very slow

• anparkinson
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Oct 2016 15:33 #1 by anparkinson
2860 streaming video very slow was created by anparkinson
I want to stream my satellite tv (from a Dreambox) to my laptop over the wifi but it keeps buffering and stopping. This is SD, not HD.

I have fast wifi and a fast fibre internet connection (48 down, 13 up).

Are there any changes or tweaks I can make in the 2860 to increase my streaming speed?

I am on 11n only, Channel Bandwidth 20 and Operation Mode Greenfield. Latest firmware loaded in 2860.

The strange thing is that iPlayer streams perfectly, even in HD.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2016 12:43 #2 by aweaton
Replied by aweaton on topic Re: 2860 streaming video very slow
A few questions:

1) How is your Dreambox directly connected to the 2860 - over WiFi, wired connection or via HomePlugs?
2) What WiFi channel is your 2860 running on?
3) Have you tried with the Dreambox and laptop both plugged in via a wired connection in the 2860?

iPlayer running in HD okay suggests that your WiFi isn't the issue. Do YouTube 1080p videos run okay (make sure you force 1080p).

• anparkinson
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Oct 2016 12:15 #3 by anparkinson
Replied by anparkinson on topic Re: 2860 streaming video very slow
The Dreambox is a direct Ethernet wired connection to the 2860.
I'm on wifi channel 11. I've run a scan and ours is the only one in the area on that channel.
I haven't tried the laptop with a direct cable connection. I will do so in a few days - away at the moment.

I'm wondering if it's a priority thing in the router and if there's some way I can give this streaming more priority. Usually it starts streaming perfectly for about a minute then starts buffering and grinding to a halt.

More
10 Oct 2016 09:43 #4 by aweaton
Replied by aweaton on topic Re: 2860 streaming video very slow

anparkinson wrote: The Dreambox is a direct Ethernet wired connection to the 2860.
I'm on wifi channel 11. I've run a scan and ours is the only one in the area on that channel.
I haven't tried the laptop with a direct cable connection. I will do so in a few days - away at the moment.

I'm wondering if it's a priority thing in the router and if there's some way I can give this streaming more priority. Usually it starts streaming perfectly for about a minute then starts buffering and grinding to a halt.

Yes, test a direct cable connection with the laptop. Also test a 1080p YouTube stream to the laptop. You need to rule out the performance of the Dreambox before playing with the router priority settings.

• pyblack
  • User
  • User
More
28 Nov 2016 21:22 #5 by pyblack
Replied by pyblack on topic Re: 2860 streaming video very slow
I find streaming iplayer and youtube HD and SD stutters on my 2860 5ghz AND 2ghz network. I have tried every combination of settings, including bandwidth IP segregation and its definitely the draytek, as soon as I sub in the plusnet homehub standard issue there are no issues. If any one finds a combination of settings in the config then I will be amazed, but these things seem completely useless at streaming HQ video.