• sjltech.uk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Oct 2016 17:33 #1 by sjltech.uk
Wireless Access Points and IPv6 was created by sjltech.uk
Hello all,
A bit of a vague question I'm afraid, and possibly a dumb one, but does anyone know if any of the DrayTek WAPs support IPv6 ?
I've looked at the manuals for the 900 & 902, but don't see any mention of it.
I know that some of the routers support it, but I prefer to run non WiFi routers and put wireless access points where they're needed.
The reason for asking is that I'm setting up an IPv6 network as I've discovered my BT line supports it, so I have a spare router & switch (2925 & G1241) which I'm proposing to use (wired), but it would be useful to test out wireless too as my wife uses a VPN back to the office.
Any replies gratefully received.
Thanks
Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2016 09:50 #2 by jedi98
Replied by jedi98 on topic Re: Wireless Access Points and IPv6
In general, the IP version is irrelevant to the WAP function as the WAP works on a protocol layer below IP. Mostly you just use the IPv4 on the WAP to set it up and administer it and the main traffic flow passes through it without touching the IP.

So, simple answer is, yes, even if the WAP has no IPv6 support, clients connected to it are able to use whatever IPv6 you have set up on your router.

In technical terms, WAP and wired switch functionality is at layer 2 (Data Link,MAC) and are independent of Layer 3 (Network, IP).

Hope that helps!

• sjltech.uk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Oct 2016 10:28 #3 by sjltech.uk
Replied by sjltech.uk on topic Re: Wireless Access Points and IPv6
Ahhhh, many, many thanks jedi98 - it certainly does help !
Thanks for taking the time to explain it too - much appreciated
Cheers
Simon