Big Reliability issues with AP-902!

• eveares
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Feb 2017 02:18 #1 by eveares
Big Reliability issues with AP-902! was created by eveares
I have a Draytek Vigor AP-902 what until a couple of weeks ago has been rather reliable.

Don't know if related, but two weeks ago my printer got bombarded by the flaming botnet by the grey-hat hacker Stackoverflowin due to me stupidly leaving port 9100 open to my Oki printer from a previous experiment. (Printer connected to LAN port 2 on Draytek AP-902) More on that here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/a-hacker-just-pwned-over-150-000-printers-left-exposed-online/

My AP-902 is set up using WPA2 Enterprise/802.1x using the Radius server on my Vigor 2860 Router for the main SSID, plus a second SSID using WPA2 Personal on the 2.4Ghz band just for my Amazon Echo as it does not support WPA2 Enterprise/802.1x. Both SSId's use the same channels.

Anyway, a few days after the above event I notice my Amazon Echo wont connect to my AP-902 what turns out to be due to the 2.4Ghz band being mysteriously disabled. Re-enable the 2.4Ghz band after a bit of investigation and things are ok until the next day.

Now the next day I notice that my iPhone 6s will connect to it ok, but have no internet access. After much trouble shooting and many hours later (including updating the AP-902 to firmware version 1.2.0), I discover that if i have the "Rate Adaptation Algorithm" under "Advanced Setting" set to "Old" for the 5Ghz band, my iPhone once again works. Having the Rate Adaptation Algorithm set to New for the 2.4Ghz band does not affect my results.

This Rate Adaptation Algorithm issue in the 5Ghz band is still present and I am currently having to use the "Old" Rate Adaptation Algorithm setting to get my iPhone 6s to work on the 5Ghz band.

I am also facing a issue where sometimes my iPhone won't connect to the AP-902 and I have to toggle Wi-Fi off and on on my phone to get it to reconnect.

And to top it all off, a couple of times in the last several days, I have had to restart the AP-902 as nothing will connect to it as it seems to drop-out/lock up in regards to Wi-Fi.

All network gear is on 24/7 and is protected by a UPS.

Regards: Elliott.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• psykix
  • User
  • User
More
18 Feb 2017 19:17 #2 by psykix
Replied by psykix on topic Re: Big Reliability issues with AP-902!
I'm having major issues that I cannot fathom with my AP902's (I have 2).

It is getting to the point where I'm gonna ditch all this Draytek kit - I just don't want to be battling with it all every few days.

I have similar issues (devices appear to lose internet connectivity, despite being connected to Wifi.)

Rebooting the AP's doesn't seem to work on its own, have to reboot everything (2860, and APs)

I'm gonna log a support ticket I think, and if I get no joy there, Draytek are history in this house.

More
18 Feb 2017 21:29 #3 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Big Reliability issues with AP-902!
Yes, od create a support ticket...but also do some detective work on site... e.g. is it related to having mobililty enabled, specific devices, is it fine when APM is not used, or just one AP etc...

Forum Administrator

• eveares
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Feb 2017 15:23 #4 by eveares
Replied by eveares on topic Re: Big Reliability issues with AP-902!
Going to have to create a support ticket. It is freezing up every 1-2 days now and each time it does it, the 2.4Ghz band stops working and the management/GUI interface for the AP-902 goes down and does not respond.

What would cause such a major lockup to the point where the GUI interface on the AP-902 also goes offline?

Regards: Elliott.