Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Killer Wifi card causes 2860n to crash

• order66
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
02 Mar 2017 12:30 #1 by order66
I just bought a Dell XPS 15 (9560) which has a "Killer Wireless 1535" Card in it. The problem is that when this card gets remotely busy it causes my 2860n+ to effectively "crash" the WLAN and kick all clients off.

I'm now stuck between a rock and a hard place - the 2860n has worked very well for a couple of years now with zero issues, something in the Killer card is causing the router to crash, but I now have Dell and Killer pointing at the Draytek device as the problem (based on the simple fact that all devices are kicked off the WLAN and not just the killer card). I can use the laptop by disabling the killer card and using a USB wifi adapter, but not an ideal solution.

So is there anything I can do in the 2860 to prevent the disconnects for all devices (even if it only disconnected the Killer device that would be better)?

Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2017 18:58 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Killer Wifi card causes 2860n to crash

"Killer Wireless 1535"

Sound like you got what you paid for :-)

Some incompatibility there...assuming it doesn't deliberately get better performance by kicking off all other clients so see what setting there are for the card and switch them off/on one by one and then re-test. Check the router settings too.

Forum Administrator

• order66
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
03 Mar 2017 09:07 #3 by order66
Replied by order66 on topic Re: Killer Wifi card causes 2860n to crash

admin wrote:
assuming it doesn't deliberately get better performance by kicking off all other clients so see what setting there are for the card and switch them off/on one by one and then re-test. Check the router settings too.

I understand what you are saying, but surely no single client should be able to kick off other clients - this is effectively a DoS weakness which Draytek would really need to address.

Any idea what router settings I could check? To this point the router has been extremely stable, running since March 2014 with no issues. I do understand it is this fancy new wifi card causing the problem, but do feel that a single client shouldn't be able to crash the router regardless of what it does.

More
03 Mar 2017 09:34 #4 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Killer Wifi card causes 2860n to crash
You could try enabling Airtime Fairness on the wireless interface it connects to?

Forum Administrator

More
03 Mar 2017 09:43 #5 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Killer Wifi card causes 2860n to crash
I don't know which setting to check... I don't have that model, sorry.... but there are lots of settings under wireless LAN/advanced.
Also 802.11n only mode might make a difference ?

DoS... well, the attack is on the 'air' perhaps not the router - i.e. it's wireless so there are plenty of ways to jam/interfere with signals which don't involve knobbling the router.

Forum Administrator