DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Need to get tethering working for a presentation

• alan_uk
  • Topic Author
More
04 May 2017 15:54 #1 by alan_uk
Hi
I have a presentation next Tues to U3A on the internet of things and wish to demonstrate IoT gadgets that I have using Node-Red on a Raspberry Pi 3 with Jessie . One of the demos accesses devices on the LAN and services in the cloud. But the venue has no internet so I thought I would try tethering.

My set up is:
Draytek 2760 modem/router with the wi-fi disabled and Strict MAC Bind on all devices to assign the same IP address every time.
Tp-Link TL-WA801N / TL-WA801ND wi-fi linked by cable to the Draytek and configured as an access point and again strict bind.
Raspberry Pi with cable connect to the Draytex. (I have tried tethering the Pi but with partial success - see PS below)
Windows 7 PC connected to the Draytek and using Putty/RDP to the headless Pi + browser connect to the Pi.

I also have a Edimax USB 7711UAn dongle available.

So I'm thinking, can I get the Draytek to route all WAN requests to the phone but looking at the 2760 manual it seems not. Connecting the Draytek USB port to the phone nothing happened (reading other posts this seems a no-no as it expects a 4G dongle).

WAN2 just diverts WAN to Port 4. I could presumably plug the TP-Link into that but at present I'm struggling to get the phone to see the TP-Link (the TP-Link as a Client) sees the phone in a scan but wont connect / or be accepted by the phone). [the phone is happy to connect to the PI wifi so the phone is OK for tethering). But I need the TP-Link to be an Access Point as well as some of the things I'm demoing are wifi connected. I tried Universal Repeater (which I believe is both AP and sort of client), but again again cannot connect.

I tried enabling the Draytek wifi but struggled with all the options let alone to tether it - the only options seem to be Bridge or Repeater, not Client. I did do an Access Point scan and it sees the Samsung phone twice: 1. the phone MAC and 2. as the TP-Link MAC. I then added the phone MAC to the WDS Repeater table but the phone does not see the Draytek.

I tried plugging in the Edimax dongle into the PC and it is recognised by Windows 7. But even if I got the tethering to work I would still need the Draytek to route all WAN requests from the Pi to the PC and then the PC to relay on. Is that another option?

Ideas very welcome.

Thank you for reading.
Alan
PS I need the Pi to use the WAN via mobile tethering for external websites / cloud and the LAN via cable for local devices and to run the Pi headless from the same PC as the presentation slides. I tried configuring the Pi (it has both cable connect and wifi) and could either 1) access the LAN via cable to the Draytek or 2) access the WAN by wifi tethering to my Samsung Android (KitKat) phone, but not both at the same time. Hence this post for an alternative. A posting on the Raspberry Pi forum has so far no response. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=182166

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2017 14:06 #2 by admin
The vigor 2760 can ONLY use a USB 3G modem, one of it's Ethernet ports or it's DSL port for WAN access.

The Vigor 2860 can get WAN via WiFi but not the V2760.

Forum Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.