Directional 5GHz & Onmi 2.4GHz Wifi 2860

• trumpton17
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
27 Aug 2017 12:20 #1 by trumpton17
Directional 5GHz & Onmi 2.4GHz Wifi 2860 was created by trumpton17
I've a 2860Vn+ modem, and in general, use 2.4GHz network around the house.
I do have a specific problem with the signal to the TV, and I can't move either the TV or the modem, so want to increase the gain.
Both TV and modem support 5GHz band, so I want to use that.

As far as I understand, the modem has 3 antennae [REF1, Replacing antennas]: 2.4/5GHz, 2.4GHz, 5GHz
I also understand that the diversity support means that I should either replace all 3 antenna, or turn off the diversity support.
I have seen telnet instructions [REF1, Using a single antenna] to tell a modem (not clear which model) to use just one antenna, but this is no good for me as I want both 2.4 and 5GHz networks.

Ideally, I want:

ANT-1207 [REF2] on two of the antennae to support 2.4GHz with MIMO, possibly with one of them on an extension ANT-BAS1 [REF2].
ANT-2520 [REF2] on the third, to support directional 5GHz with no MIMO.

My Question is:

Q: What settings do I use to turn off 5GHz diversity, but allow 2.4GHz diversity to still work.

Thanks,
Steve

[REF1]: https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-wlan-replacing-antennas
[REF2]: http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/accessories/aerials

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2017 09:41 #2 by admin
I'm, not sure you can. Why not buy a secondary access point, e.g. AP700 and put a directional
aerial on that?

Also, as coverage is the issue, you should use 2.4Ghz for the distant TV - it has better range.

Forum Administrator

• trumpton17
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
28 Aug 2017 10:38 #3 by trumpton17
Replied by trumpton17 on topic Re: Directional 5GHz & Onmi 2.4GHz Wifi 2860
Thanks Admin,

The 2.4GHz band is completely overutilised around me, so I want to make use of the 5GHz band. The TV and access point are only about 6m apart, through one wall, so a high gain antenna should do this.

I don't want to use a second access point because I've spent a fortune on the 2860, and it has all the features to be able to do what I want - I have 2.4GHz access points in the cupboard but don't want to further overwhelm the local spectrum (even if I did have the space to install it!).

The reference [REF1] describes a "wl ht antenna 3" command, and I suspect that the 2860 has a version of this command which allows me to selectively control the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands (because one of the antenna is shared between the two bands, and draytek sell directional 5GHz antenna for the 2860).

I think I need to understand what these options mean in the context of a modem with 3 antenna
i.e. for the 2860 - 2.4G, 2.4G/5G, 2.4G that claims that all 3 can Transmit and Receive (3T3R?)
and which antennas are actually used in each case:
I also need to understand if the manual is actually correct and complete.

wl ht antenna value The value you can type ranges from 0-3.
0: 2T3R
1: 2T2R
2: 1T2R
3: 1T1R

Still searching,

Steve

Q: What settings do I use to turn off 5GHz diversity, but allow 2.4GHz diversity to still work.

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
25 Sep 2017 17:27 #4 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: Directional 5GHz & Onmi 2.4GHz Wifi 2860
I would imagine 1T1R on the 5 Ghz, should just utilise the central antenna, and the outer two should remain as a typical 2.4Ghz setup.