• john rumm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Sep 2017 23:41 #1 by john rumm
AP-810 Management with a 2860n was created by john rumm
Hi,

I was attempting to setup a pair of AP-810 for management from a 2860n the other day, and getting rather odd results. Each time I applied the wifi profile to the APs it would set some of the parameters as required, but then not apply the WPA2 pass phrase I had specified. Instead it seemed to reset the pass key to the default. Also it insisted in turning on a second unwanted SSID for Draytek_LAN_B every time.

What am I missing?

(in the end I had to disable remote management on the APs and set them up manually, since they seemed to periodically get overwritten with the wrong details, not really much use!)

Cheers,
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• john rumm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
23 Jun 2019 14:21 #2 by john rumm
Replied by john rumm on topic Re: AP-810 Management with a 2860n
Just seem to have stumbled over a solution to this one... only took 2 years!

So quick recap - setup a WLAN profile on the 2860, and use it to auto provision the two APs. All works fine except the WPA2/PSK password was not correctly provisioned on the APs, making the who process rather useless. You could manually patch up the PW on the APs, but next time they were refreshed by the router, back to the wrong PW again. So in the end gave up, turned off auto provision and left them manually setup.

I just applied the most recent firmware updates on the router and APs, and noticed I got an error stepping through the WLAN profile config pages. It was telling me I can't have an "&" character in the PW! (previous firmware did not object). Looking at the PW I was using it was of the general form:

word&something@else

Now it becomes clear, that when the auto provision happens, it was truncating the PW at the & when talking to the AP.... So the AP ended up with a PW of simply "word" or "word&" (which in the case of the PW I was using was just the right length to look like a default "admin" style PW in the APs entry field).

Changing to a PW without an embedded ampersand, and it now auto provisions correctly.

Thought I would do an update in case anyone else has been bitten by the same problem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.