DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860 + 2x 902s - what mode do they need to be in?

• b0redom
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
16 Sep 2017 16:56 #1 by b0redom
Hi,
I've got this setup:

I have Internet coming into point A which is a Vigor2860. This also acts as a wireless access point.

I have a Vigor AP902 (B) which is hardwired back to the 2860 providing wireless in my man shed.

On the 2nd floor I have hardly any signal, so I decided to buy a 2nd AP902 (C) to boost the signal up there too.

What mode should I configure the APs in so that I can roam around the house without having to constantly change the SSID I'm connected to? The AP in the man cave is currently setup to provide 2 separate SSID which is a real pain! I want to keep the APs hardwired together as I have some devices which require a fast physical connection. I literally just want the APs to provide wireless access to client devices around the house, not to communicate between themselves over a wireless connection.

Ta....

b0redom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
17 Sep 2017 07:03 #2 by mbames
I'd use the 2860 to manage both the 902s and apply the same profile to itself.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-ap-management-setup

More
17 Sep 2017 17:44 #3 by piste basher
Set the 902s in Access point mode and configure the same SSID on all wireless profiles. Works for me. I tried using the 802.1x and radius server to get true "roaming" but could never get it to work properly.

• b0redom
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
27 Sep 2017 10:42 #4 by b0redom
Thanks for the advice. I actually configured all the APs to use the same SSID, but it takes ages to 'roam' from one to the other, and disconnects sessions (SSH, RDP etc) when you do. In larger corporate offices I've worked in, you can roam around the campus without the wifi dropping so it must be possible right?

More
27 Sep 2017 16:55 #5 by piste basher
From the Draytek support pages:-

"When a wireless client moves between two VigorAP Access Points that have the same credentials, the act of disassociating from one access point and re-associating with the next is typically called "Roaming". This is controlled by the wireless client and will depend upon the "Roaming Aggressiveness" and behaviour of the wireless client's network driver / device.

With some wireless clients, the connection may remain with the now more distant VigorAP instead of moving to the closer VigorAP.

DrayTek VigorAP Access Points can help with this situation through the use of AP-Assisted Mobility, which intelligently disassociates wireless clients that have a low signal strength to one VigorAP and better signal strength with another VigorAP.

Using 802.1X does assist with the delay in moving between access points but this does not aid with the wireless client's behaviour of moving between access points."

"When AP Assisted Mobility is enabled on multiple VigorAPs that support the feature, the Minimum RSSI setting allows the APs to communicate details of client signal strength over the wired network.

When a wireless client moves beyond the optimal range of a VigorAP, it checks with other VigorAPs on the network to determine whether or not other VigorAPs have a better signal strength to that client. If another VigorAP does have higher signal strength, the client is disassociated so that they can reconnect to the nearer access point.

This check allows clients that do not have a nearer VigorAP, such as a tablet on the edge of the overall wireless network's range, to stay connected and use the network instead of simply being disconnected when the RSSI goes below the specified level, eliminating the risk of this feature causing wireless network dead spots."

Unfortunately the facility is only available on the APs and not on the router, for some reason. But that may or may not matter depending on your setup.