DHCP (Relay) failing for WiFi Devices, Vigor 2862ac

• richard6minis
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Nov 2017 12:27 #1 by richard6minis
Hi all,
I've recently purchased a Vigor 2862ac and have a weird issue with WiFi dropping out - wired clients are fine.
DHCP is coming from a Windows 2012 R2 domain controller, with LAN1 DHCP relay pointing to its IP Address (even though its same subnet), and WiFi clients authenticate with an external Radius server (same server that provides DHCP)
Station Control is disabled for this SSID (a separate guest SSID on a different VLAN disconnects after 4 hours).

On iPhones, once its dropped you have to turn WiFi off and on to be able to reconnect (having a separate issue with windows devices).

Since wired is ok - I'm assuming I can rule out DHCP relay?
2.4Ghz firmware is 3.3
5Ghz firmware is 10.4-2.4.3.1008

Thanks in advance!
Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• richard6minis
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Nov 2017 16:35 #2 by richard6minis
Looks like it's radius related - I set the wifi back to wpa2/psk (no 802.1x) and it's stopped disconnecting - guess DHCP was never the issue, mobile clients couldn't even authenticate to get that far, but weird though that once it dropped you had to disable and re-enable wifi.
Is there any kind of logging we can use to work out if the issue is on the draytek side or the (external) radius?

• admin2
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
More
15 Nov 2017 14:35 #3 by admin2
Like you say, a step you could try is using the 2862's internal radius server so that you can check to see if it's an issue relating to the external radius side of things.

There are some setup guide in the KB on that.
https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/our-technology/wpa2-enterprise-on-draytek-routers

On the logging side syslog is the tool to use
https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-syslog

I'd use syslog to PC due to the nature of the issue you're looking to invstigate - you might find the syslog to USB or websyslog don't capture quickly enough for easy troubleshooting.