Issues using channels in the 5Ghz band?

• theia
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jan 2018 23:37 #1 by theia
Hi,

Normally we use the 2.4ghz band on our Vigor 2860ac . We generally get -55 to -65 on the fringes of our building - which is just about ok..
Because of thick internal walls, or obstructions, the 5Ghz signal drops off to -75 or more when using (the default) channel 36.

I just experimented by changing the channel of the Vigor 2860ac to 100 and wow! What a difference! Signal strength of the 5ghz band is now -55, perfect for our use. The power is now transmitting at 1W not 200mw inside our building. However the router is not in the centre, but on the front of the building. Fortunately, we have our neighbour at 90degrees to the router. In any case, there are no channels in use by our neighbours in the 5Ghz band.

However, as I understand it, there are restrictions on these higher channels. ( https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/the-5ghz-wireless-band )

QUESTION

So I would be grateful if someone who knows about these things could explain anything I need to do/know to be legal or avoid any issues (including interference, or equipment issues like heat, - or anything! )
I'm not clear on the implications of DFS and TPC. Ideally If the DFS means the connection has to be off for 60 secs every 24 hours then will it actually cause a break any downloading going on?
If so, I wonder if that can be scheduled so the break can happen at a specific time like 4am?

I don't want to have any issues! Thanks for any helpful clarification. I would really appreciate it.

T.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2018 11:01 #2 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Issues using channels in the 5Ghz band?
The Vigor 2860ac should have a maximum transmit power of 200mW rather than a 1W output - a 1W output access point / router would be classified as high power and sold as such.

The difference in speed could be due to the lower interference, which can be helped significantly by changing channels on the 5GHz band, with so many of them in the DFS/TPC range (52 to 140).

You should see details of the DFS scan in the router / APs syslog output, I believe it will occur when the channel is set and then 24 hours after that, it may cause the clients connected to wait until the scan is complete - I'm not sure of a way to schedule it right now, it might be worth checking with the support team whether that could be improved.

Forum Administrator

• theia
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Jan 2018 11:04 #3 by theia

admin3 wrote: The Vigor 2860ac should have a maximum transmit power of 200mW rather than a 1W output - a 1W output access point / router would be classified as high power and sold as such.

The difference in speed could be due to the lower interference, which can be helped significantly by changing channels on the 5GHz band, with so many of them in the DFS/TPC range (52 to 140).

You should see details of the DFS scan in the router / APs syslog output, I believe it will occur when the channel is set and then 24 hours after that, it may cause the clients connected to wait until the scan is complete - I'm not sure of a way to schedule it right now, it might be worth checking with the support team whether that could be improved.

Thank you for clarification and correcting my misunderstanding! :D
I have spent a bit more time trying out settings and have got a good 5Ghz signal now on Channel48. I'm hitting myself over the head for not having done something so obviously basic (that I do with 2.4Ghz).
Oh well. Problem solved even without turning us into another Crystal Palace. Thanks again