WiFi SSID Q

• manicguitarist
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
14 Feb 2018 11:33 #1 by manicguitarist
WiFi SSID Q was created by manicguitarist
I have 2 wifi access points in my house. One an AP900 and the other a buffalo something (possibly soon to be replaced by a 2926ac). The ap900 and other have different SSIDs but would I be better having the same SSID? The reason for differing ones is that previously I was finding that some devices weren’t switching to the nearest AP and were instead sticking to the more distant one - with a hugely reduced signal.

I always assmed that devices were supposed to switch to the nearest AP (like cell phones), but this wasn’t my experience. If this behaviour is anomalous could it be a feature of either of my current APs?

TL;DR - best coverage, same ssid or area specific ssids?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
14 Feb 2018 15:17 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: WiFi SSID Q
Are your clients any better at switching to a different AP, with a different SSID, than they are switching to a different AP, with the same SSID?

There's some stuff in the "Roaming >> Router-assisted Client Roaming Parameters" section of my 2860n, that might help.
Code:
AP-assisted Client Roaming Note: * When AP detects that a station may need to roam, AP disconnects the station. * This feature helps those stations with bad roaming ability. Avoid the situation that a station is already close to the other AP but still sticky to the original AP and with bad performance. * Please notice that RSSI Requirement mode is common for 2.4G and 5G Minimum RSSI with Adjacent AP RSSI over X * Disconnect clients with bad signal to encourage roaming only when they can have better signal through another DrayTek AP. * All APs must be DrayTek APs which support this feature. The LANs assigned by the SSID of all APs must be connected by Ethernet and under the same subnet.

However, the "Buffalo something" may not be similarly equipped :)

• manicguitarist
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
14 Feb 2018 17:34 #3 by manicguitarist
Replied by manicguitarist on topic Re: WiFi SSID Q
:D
Thanks. The buffalo thing is being replaced tomorrow with a DrayTek unit.