external aerial on AP-700

• mbames
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Feb 2018 14:39 #1 by mbames
external aerial on AP-700 was created by mbames
I want to use an old AP-700 to boast a signal down to my garage, so it would be in station mode (think that is the correct term as it would just be attached to a PC).

The signal is detectable, but not great. Thinking about using one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-ANT2409A-9dBi-Directional-Antenna/dp/B000N9B66U
and
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-ANT24EC5S-Antenna-Extension-Cable/dp/B001BSK3NO (or similar to joint he two two together while keep the AP-700 out of the dampness)

but should I replace both, or would one be fine? I assuming just one would do the trick, but want to make sure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2018 11:05 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: external aerial on AP-700
Should work if the plug fits but only one of the sockets on the AP700 is probably transmitting so if you use only one socket, make sure its the right one.
Avoid extension/long cables if you can.

Forum Administrator

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
18 Feb 2018 15:12 #3 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: external aerial on AP-700

mbames wrote: The signal is detectable, but not great.

If you use WiFi Analyzer , what's the signal strength listed as, when in the garage?

I'd be interested to know, if it's 9bB higher with the new aerial connected. (I don't know if such simple arithmetic applies, hence the query)

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
18 Feb 2018 15:15 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: external aerial on AP-700

admin wrote: Should work if the plug fits but only one of the sockets on the AP700 is probably transmitting so if you use only one socket, make sure its the right one.

In that case, don't you need two aerials? (As in, you can't SHOUT the answer back, if you didn't hear the question :) )

Can you modify the configuration of the AP700 so it uses both?