Combine AP900, AP902 and 2960

• daedalus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Aug 2018 15:45 #1 by daedalus
Combine AP900, AP902 and 2960 was created by daedalus
I have a Vigor 2960 router with an AP900 and AP902 to cover the house for the wifi. I want to be able to roam around the house moving to which ever AP has the best signal without changing SSID's or passwords. The full setup is Virgin Superhub 3 with latest firmware update in modem mode, then the Vigor 2960 with WAN 1 to the modem and Lan port one to a TP Link POE Switch to both AP's, (both AP's are POE powered) then the rest of the rooms TV etc are wired back to the switch. Everything seems to be working OK in its own right and via wire I get about 380Mbs from Virgin.

If you can point me in the right direction I would be greatful.

Thanks

Daedalus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• macximum
  • User
  • User
More
09 Aug 2018 17:59 #2 by macximum
Replied by macximum on topic Re: Combine AP900, AP902 and 2960
In theory you need to setup all the access points with the exact same wireless name, password and authentication - the only thing that MUST differ between access points is the channel number that each of them transmit their wireless on, on 2.4GHz they should be at least 2 channels apart. I think you have 3 access points (APs), your 2960 router and the 2 APs (900 & 902)

This rule applies to both 2.4GHz & 5GHz frequencies and in theory you can make both frequencies the same wireless network name but again the channel numbers must differ.

There have been some weird wireless authentication issues with the more recent versions of firmware for routers and APs, so it will be interesting to see how your setup copes too. Please report back!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.