• tuonofrosty
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
24 Feb 2019 09:50 #1 by tuonofrosty
Wifi speed drops off? was created by tuonofrosty
Hi

I have a Vigor 2862, and i am on bt infinity business.

I am no expert at this and this is my first Draytek router. I have it all set up and running fine have done port forwards etc, so not a complete dummy, the problem I have is my wifi speed keeps dropping to a crawl?

Lan connections are absolutely fine, and so is the wifi for an hour or so, then it drops to 3-5mb? reset the router and it's fine again for a while?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've tried everything i can think of and nothing seems to sort it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
18 Apr 2019 12:53 #2 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: Wifi speed drops off?
What devices? 2.4 or 5Ghz?

if you telnet to the router and just restart the wifi/radio interface does that restore speed?

More
26 Aug 2019 14:00 #3 by x64
Replied by x64 on topic Re: Wifi speed drops off?
Ignore the post about heat above, it's not impossible but very unlikely - the post is probably spam (evidence is the link in the spammers signature) - I've reported it.

Back on topic.....The other thing to consider is whether the speed issue is wifi related or the DSL link having issues and negotiating down to try to compensate. The latter would not surprise me as the DSL chipset used in the 2862 does not always work as well with the UK VDSL infrastructure as Broadcom based chipsets used by some other manufacturers. Draytek do not acknowledge this, they just say that their device has passed the BT tests to get its certification. My own 2862 negotiates about 4 Mb lower and a Broadcom based competitor.

Look under "Diagnostics" / "DSL Status" as the problem progresses and watch to see if the values deteriorate. You are looking at Downstream Actual rate, Attainable rate, and SNR margin (which should not go below 6 on a line that has not had its stability settings fiddled with by the ISP). Also look at the changes to CRC errors on upstream. Some CRCs are 'normal' but thousands a day could be line or compatibility issues.