Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

11b device not happy with 11b/g/n mixed on 2862ac

• gsv3miac
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Mar 2019 11:41 #1 by gsv3miac
I have an (old) set of Aria scales (Fitbit) which (with the 2862ac) only want to connect to wifi if I set the router mode to 11b only .. 11b/g mixed, or 11b/g/n mixed and the device fails to connect (which it does whenever it needs to send data to the cloud).

Now I am (fairly) sure it worked fine with 11b/g/n mixed on my old 2820n, so what has changed (or what set up option have I got wrong!?) such that it won't play nicely on my 2862ac (nor, indeed, on an attached AP800 .. although I daren't set that to 11b only to see if it works that way, - it's the main wifi hub so I'd get lynched). The Aria scales are a known PITA, but, as I said, it used to work reasonably reliably.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
01 Mar 2019 12:21 #2 by hornbyp
Here's an 18 page thread of folk with similar problems: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Aria/Can-t-connect-to-my-new-wifi/td-p/823629 :(

You could try twiddling with the "Wireless LAN >> Advanced Settings" - one at a time, to see if they make a difference. Check they match the 2820n (though it only had a subset of the options).

Is it possible that the 2862 is using a different Wifi channel (one that the Aria won't use?). I realise this shouldn't be the case, but my Canon EOS760D DSLR won't use channels 12 and 13...in a weird phone call to Canon, they tried to justify this, by saying it was for "World-wide compatibility" :shock:

It might be easier to leave the old 2820n in circuit, purely for the "Aria" - though you might get other household devices connecting, if you can't change the SSIDs.

• gsv3miac
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Mar 2019 10:52 #3 by gsv3miac
Thanks for the reply .. strangely I just waited 48 hours, and suddenly the Aria scales connect just fine. They may have noticed that I was looking through Amazon for their imminent replacement!!
Hopefully they will stay connected. I did force the channel to 6 (which is where the 2820n used to be), since most of the house now connects via an AP800 (the other end of the property from the computer room), or 5Gz (this end).

I trust you gave Canon a good talking to .. not =forcing= you to use channel 12/13 is certainly possibly sane, even not =defaulting= to .. but not =supporting it as an option= ?!

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
03 Mar 2019 14:30 #4 by hornbyp

GSV3MiaC wrote: I trust you gave Canon a good talking to ..

We agreed to disagree :roll: (Wifi on a DSLR seems to be "something for the kids" ... I just turned it off and forgot about it!)

On a different note, I've just remembered the issues with my temperamental Netatmo 'smart' thermostat. On Channel 1, it would connect ... but then the PING times just got longer and longer until it fell off the network. It could be manually persuaded to reconnect, but it just fell off again. On Channel 11, it is completely stable :?