Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 910C Leaking Broadcast Packets Between VLANS

• ineedhelpplease
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Sep 2019 15:37 #1 by ineedhelpplease
Noticed on a wireshark broadcast packets coming from our Guest VLAN onto the Private VLAN with a 255.255.255.255 Destination
This only occurs when using Vigor 910C Accesspoints. When using Ethernet the traffic looks normal.

I have member isolation ticked for the Guest VLAN but should I not safely assume the broadcast should not be jumping VLANS?? ( The whole point of a broadcast domain )

Private VLAN 192.168.4.0/23

Guest 192.168.100.0/24

Private VLAN has DHCP from a Server
Guest has DHCP from a Vigor2952 Router

InterVlan Routing is Enabled but a firewall rule blocks all traffic from the guest to private vlan except for 1 I.P, The Wireshark is showing all UDP and SSDP Broadcasts coming from the Private network.
Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2019 14:24 #2 by admin
Doesn't sound right... I'd raise this with support so that they can investigate with full info on your topology. It could be the Vigor 2952 passing the traffic when it shouldn't rather than the 910C but I obviously can't tell.

Forum Administrator

• 36bits
  • User
  • User
More
06 Sep 2019 16:15 #3 by 36bits
Sounds likely to be the same issue I saw way back in 2016: https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=21296 . I went round the houses with DrayTek support and they eventually concluded that this behaviour was as expected. The DrayTek response was:

The engineers looked into the mechanisms that are responsible for the vlan traffic. They have concluded that the design of it is meant to be for the multiple MAC address destinations rather than one.
For example, when a PC is set with two vlans configured on the same interface the destination MAC address of two traffic paths are the same (wireless to port2 PC & LAN4' traffic with port2 PC). In our mechanism, when we receive packets, we will record the source MAC address and some other information such like pid (a kind of port id) in our bridge table (one MAC address only has one pid).
When we need to send a packet, we will search the bridge table by MAC address and depends on its pid to find out the packet that I am going to send will need to add vlan tag or not. That is to say, if there are two kind of traffics that the destination MAC address are the same (one has vlan tag, the other doesn't has), the pid of MAC address in bridge table will keep changing and cause some of the un-tagged packet add the vlan tag incorrectly.

In my opinion this is a reasonably serious bug/vunerability as the expected isolation and hence confidentiality of VLAN traffic is compromised due to traffic leaking between VLANs. However no fix has ever been forthcoming from DrayTek.

Regards,

• ineedhelpplease
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Sep 2019 11:28 #4 by ineedhelpplease
Replied by ineedhelpplease on topic Re: Vigor 910C Leaking Broadcast Packets Between VLANS

admin wrote:
Doesn't sound right... I'd raise this with support so that they can investigate with full info on your topology. It could be the Vigor 2952 passing the traffic when it shouldn't rather than the 910C but I obviously can't tell.

I would agree, yet the broadcasts instantly stop when I go via Ethernet, indicating this is a Wi-Fi issue

• 36bits
  • User
  • User
More
10 Sep 2019 12:24 #5 by 36bits

the broadcasts instantly stop when I go via Ethernet, indicating this is a Wi-Fi issue

This is exactly the same symptom that I see. Traffic originating from the wireless LAN and destined for a wired port is supposed to have a VLAN tag inserted that matches the VLAN that you have assigned to that SSID, however the DrayOS code has a bug that causes these frames to intermittently be given the wrong VLAN tag, hence causing the traffic to appear on another VLAN.

Regards,

• ineedhelpplease
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Sep 2019 10:11 #6 by ineedhelpplease
Replied by ineedhelpplease on topic Re: Vigor 910C Leaking Broadcast Packets Between VLANS
Thanks for the input Jonathan.

I'm going to raise a support request and see what Draytek say directly. This really should not be happening..