Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2762ac - extending wireless network

• smedvik
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Apr 2020 07:33 #1 by smedvik
I have recently installed a 2762ac modem router at home, and whilst very pleased with its performance in terms of speed, and coverage (way better than the ISP supplied units we’ve had before), there are still a couple of “cold spots” on the Wi-fi in the house. The house has the broadband connection arriving at the front, and there is therefore a lot of solid structure between here and the back - the signal gets there, but can be a bit flaky in a few spots. Playing with aerial positioning helps, and I have one of the 7db aerials on the extended cable to vary the signal pattern, which all helps.

Question is, should I look to add an additional AP, and, as a relatively non-technical person, what is the easiest way to do this? Not too worried if I have to spend a bit more money - just want to get as solid a network as I can.

Thanks for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2020 11:25 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 2762ac - extending wireless network
Are you able to run an ethernet cable to the back part of the house and connect an AP there? That would be my preferred solution.

Others may advise the use of "ethernet over mains" adapters to obviate the need to run a cable. Whilst these devices do work, I would not personally advocate them because of the potential for interference with my expensive hi-fi. If that is not a concern to you (or possibly to your neighbours?) then it is certainly an easy solution.

Don't forget that "roaming" between access points is very much dependent on the client's capabilities. Draytek's "assisted roaming" feature may help, if you get it right :roll:

• smedvik
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Apr 2020 08:29 #3 by smedvik
Replied by smedvik on topic Re: Vigor 2762ac - extending wireless network
Thanks - can’t run an Ethernet cable, sadly. Might try the power line adapter solution. Presumably if I then got a DrayTek AP, that would pair up with the router to provide a mesh-like network around the house?

More
03 Apr 2020 12:38 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 2762ac - extending wireless network
I have no experience of the 2762 but I very much doubt if it will form part of a mesh network. What you will have is 2 wifi access points (one AP and one router). How you configure the SSID's, band steering and roaming settings is up to you. I have used a similar setup with reasonable success - as alluded to above, you need to try and stop clients from "hanging on" like grim death to the weaker signal when they are closer to one of the access points..