• troozers
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Apr 2020 11:16 #1 by troozers
Accessing admin interface on mesh nodes was created by troozers
Hi,

I have a Vigor AP903 and two Vigor AP802 set up in a mesh network (with the AP903 as root, and the AP802 as nodes). It all seems to be working OK, although when I look at the mesh status it suggests that all the clients are on the AP903.

However, that aside, the real question is about accessing the AP802 admin interfaces (via the app and web). I can access the AP903 (Mesh Root), but not the AP802 (Mesh Node) via the web interface or the android app. Is this by design?

I wanted to make sure that the firmware was up-to-date on all the devices, and obviously can't check this on the AP802 as I have no method of accessing them. I've tried the admin passwords that I set when I initially configured each device, as well as the factory default password - neither seem to work. I just get thrown back to the login screen.

Any help is much appreciated.

Mesh Status Screenshot from AP903 shown below.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2020 17:39 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Accessing admin interface on mesh nodes
Are you saying that if you type in the IP address of an AP802 into your browser you can't access it? How do you access the AP903?

(As an aside, I think that your 802s should be showing green if all is well, not orange)

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
10 Apr 2020 04:41 #3 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Accessing admin interface on mesh nodes

troozers wrote:
I have a Vigor AP903 and two Vigor AP802 set up in a mesh network (with the AP903 as root, and the AP802 as nodes).

I can access the AP903 (Mesh Root), but not the AP802 (Mesh Node) via the web interface or the android app. Is this by design?

No.

Both the AP903 and AP802 have the same "LAN >> General Setup" section, where you either enable DHCP (client) or hard-code an IP address. You must have succeeded in doing one or the other on the AP903, because you can access it. The fact that no IP address (or green light) is showing in the AP903's Mesh Status output suggests you haven't done that on the AP802s.

You'll have to reset the AP802's and use the default login (or the Android app) to get back into them to do this. Then you can re-add them to the Mesh. (You could try plugging an ethernet lead into them first and using their default address on the 192.168.1.0/24 network - change your PC to match).

(I use my 2860n as my DHCP server and I have added Bind-to-MAC entries for all my Access Points, even though they are actually all using hard-coded IP addresses. That way I can still find them, if they get reset to DHCP-clients, for whatever reason).

Also, if you're using VLANs, you have to specify which one is used to access the management interface. The settings is also on the 'General Setup' page.

You'll want the AP802 management GUIs to be accessible, because currently, none of the available methods will transfer all the setup parameters to them from the mesh root. (Though you may not be using the settings that don't propagate )

• troozers
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Apr 2020 16:37 #4 by troozers
Replied by troozers on topic Re: Accessing admin interface on mesh nodes
Many thanks hornbyp,

I actually use MAC based DHCP address allocation as well, so am able to find them and ping them, just not sign into them.

However, I can't remember defining which VLAN is the management interface so maybe that's where things are getting mixed up. I will try what you suggest, many thanks :)