DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Mesh Wifi with Ethernet Backhaul unstable

More
02 Dec 2020 09:35 #19 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Mesh Wifi with Ethernet Backhaul unstable
Ah now I use the 2926 as root. I guess it's possible that it is being forced to not use 80MHz but I can't see any obvious way of determining that. I can't see any reference to it in the Syslogs that I have. It does, however, appear to be using only one channel, whereas the 903s say that they are using an ExtCh and a CentCh in addition to the "active" one, so maybe that's a clue.

After my fiddling yesterday I appear to have 4 devices on Channel 48 and one on Channel 52 - all apparently quite happy in their little "mesh".

Yes, the config backups from the 903s are in plain text.

My first encounter with mesh systems was a couple of years ago - my ex lives in a somewhat larger house than mine ( :roll: ) and struggled to get full wifi coverage from a router alone. I bought two Netgear Orbi units when they first came out, one near the router and one near the back of the house - job done :mrgreen:

Somehow I was hoping the Draytek mesh would provide similarly pleasing results.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
02 Dec 2020 16:14 #20 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Mesh Wifi with Ethernet Backhaul unstable

Piste Basher wrote:
It does, however, appear to be using only one channel, whereas the 903s say that they are using an ExtCh and a CentCh in addition to the "active" one, so maybe that's a clue.

A clue yes. My AP903 says it's selected Channel 36 and "20 MHz, 40 MHz (ExtCh: 40), 80 MHz (CentCh: 42)", which is a peculiar way of describing what I see visually as :

Why not just say Channel 36 / 80MHz :?:

After my fiddling yesterday I appear to have 4 devices on Channel 48 and one on Channel 52 - all apparently quite happy in their little "mesh".

What from I can make out CH48 will overlap CH52, whatever bandwidth it's using. Apparently, if any part of the channel overlaps the "DFS" range, then the whole thing does ...

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
03 Dec 2020 14:12 #21 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Mesh Wifi with Ethernet Backhaul unstable
There's a useful Draytek guide to 5GHz Wireless here: https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/the-5ghz-wireless-band

One thing I didn't realise, was that the 'playing dead' and listening for Radar has to be repeated every 24 hours ...

(I've just discovered a Weather radar station 10 miles from me, in addition to the ATC radar I already knew about :cry:)