DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2926ac + Netgear wifi extender - odd routing problem

• mattgumbley
  • Topic Author
More
04 Jul 2020 19:15 #1 by mattgumbley
Hi all, hope someone can help with this problem, I'm quite stuck..
I have a 2926ac (firmware 3.9.3.1), with 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks, which work fine, routing out to my DSL router. I have separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz, with a user SSID, and a wifi extender SSID on each frequency. (I'm planning to MAC filter everything, and put a guest network on a VLAN.. but the filters are disabled for now, and I haven't set up VLANs yet. I have one LAN, IPv6 is enabled, no obvious filtering or QoS set up.)

I have this very strange routing issue..
I have a Netgear EX6150 wifi extender a distance from the 2926 that's connected to the 5GHz network's 'wifi extender' SSID, and is connected to a hub, with a Raspberry Pi and printer connected to the hub.

The 2926ac 'diagnostics/ping diagnostic' can ping the Pi and printer (via the extender); the 2926ac's syslog entries are recorded fine on the Pi. The Pi can get out to the Internet.

The oddity is: if I connect my laptop to the 2926's 2.4GHz user SSID, I can ping the Pi and printer (and get out to the Internet). If I connect to the 5GHz SSID, I can't ping the Pi or printer (but can get out to the Internet, and can ping the 2926).

I can see no obvious reason why the choice of frequency/802.11 standard would prevent me routing via the wifi extender.

Hope someone can help!
Kind regards,
Matt Gumbley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2020 22:46 #2 by dgarratt
Not sure if it's the same issue but on my AP902 there is an option under the wifi settings to determine if the 2.4 and 5 ghz networks are isolated from each other. On my AP902 its under 5.ghz Advanced settings.

• mattgumbley
  • Topic Author
More
08 Jul 2020 23:01 #3 by mattgumbley
Hi, thanks for replying - I’ve checked this, on my router and by googling draytek router SSID isolation, but the 2926 does not have this option.

More detail: I have 4 SSIDs on 2.4 GHz (users, guest, IoT, WiFi extenders) and 2 on 5 GHz (users, WiFi extenders) - if I turn off MAC filtering, I can connect to any of these and contact the Printer & Pi on the WiFi extender - except the 5GHz users SSID.

I have no idea why, or how to diagnose it.

The router can contact the hosts on the WiFi extender, it has the right ARP cache entries. It’s just a client on one SSID that can’t contact them.

Kind regards,
Matt