• Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Aug 2020 17:58 #1 by peterg22
New 2862n - wifi is abominable was created by peterg22
Hi all,

Code:
DrayTek Vigor 2862N Quad-WAN ADSL2+/VDSL2 WiFi 4 Router w/ Load Balancing, VPN & 3G/4G LTE Support (300Mbps N) Firmware Version 3.9.4_BT. Zen FTTC VDSL2.

I have a real problem with my brand-new router. I upgraded from an old but working 2860. I did the upgrade by restoring the last backup from the 2860 which seems to have worked, and I was assured by the vendor that this was possible. However, I have had the following problems:

• Enabled
Bind IP to MAC - previously well-behaved devices have started getting different IP addresses when they connect. DHCP is turned off.

• WiFi. I have to say that this is absolute garbage, and with an antenna setup unchanged since the 2860 i can think of no reason for this. I even bought an AP710 and wired it up as a universal repeater - ironically this works better than the 2862n for coverage and reception. I can't believe how bad it is!

• (Wired) broadband dropouts. I've started getting these whereas the 2860 was rock solid.

Any ideas/comments?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• peterg22
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Aug 2020 10:54 #2 by peterg22
Replied by peterg22 on topic Re: New 2862n - wifi is abominable
Update: i've reinstalled the old 2860n and everything is stable again.

More
09 Aug 2020 18:04 #3 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: New 2862n - wifi is abominable
Mine is fine so I wonder if the config upset it... try setting it up from scratch and see if that's better.

Forum Administrator

• peterg22
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Aug 2020 18:35 #4 by peterg22
Ah, so I might have to a factory reset and re-enter the setup. Looks like i may have to enter all by hand this time.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
09 Aug 2020 20:45 #5 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: New 2862n - wifi is abominable
Don't forget that you can save separate config. files for individual functions (firewall rules, bind-2-mac, ip objects etc etc).

Setting it up completely from scratch could be time consuming - this might help you narrow it down to a particular problem area. (Assuming the 2862 can read the 2860 files)

• peterg22
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Aug 2020 18:41 #6 by peterg22
I wonder if something in the binary full backup is causing problems when restored to the 2862n?

So what i'll be doing on my next day off is restoring the 2862n to factory settings, apply the latest firmware update, restore all the settings that can be exported as text files from the 2860n, then add the others by manually typing them in.

It's a shame Draytek doesn't allow a text export import with password protection; it would make life a lot simpler. Maybe i should try a feature request.