Setting up Mesh and 2860 wireless lan

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
05 Sep 2020 00:54 #7 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Setting up Mesh and 2860 wireless lan

BrightonRob wrote:
Am I right in thinking I should turn off the wireless lan on the 2860 otherwise there will be a clash of SSIDs and channels with the 903 AP

I have 2860n, an AP903 and an AP802.

With a wired connection, the AP903 and AP802 collaboratively move clients around, based on the parameters I have set - but the 2860n will not participate in this scheme (despite the documentation implying it should). However, the "Strictly Minimum RSSI" parameter works, as a unilateral option to boot clients off. Careful positioning is required, to ensure they have somewhere else to connect to at this point, because the 2860n couldn't care less!

I have used different SSIDs on the 2860n; its throughput in not in the same league as the APs, but it's still useful for filling in a gap for some IOT things. (There's an even older 2830n doing the same thing, at the other end of the house).

You should be prepared for some experimentation :wink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brightonrob
  • Topic Author
More
05 Sep 2020 09:12 #8 by brightonrob
Replied by brightonrob on topic Re: Setting up Mesh and 2860 wireless lan
Thanks for your thoughts. I must admit I did also look for a wireless router that would be a mesh router as well but draytek arent currently doing it. Ive ended up turning off the 2860s wireless as it leaves a non mesh solution and means roaming isnt as seamless.

I dont suppose you know the roaming setting for a 903 in mesh node with a wired uplink. I standardly have minimum RSSI set, but that doesnt seem to make sense on a wired uplink as there is no signal reporting in the way that a wireless connection makes. I thought minimum basic rate makes sense but I wanted to check my thinking is right.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.