DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP903 - 5Ghz Band C channels available, or not?

• oviano
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Sep 2020 08:16 #7 by oviano

hornbyp wrote:
What are these Bands A,B & C of which you speak :?: :?
All the documentation I see, refers to "UNII-I" or "UNII-II" etc etc. Is one American and the other 'European' ? https://metis.fi/en/2018/02/5ghz-channels/

I'm new to 5GHz Wireless and assumed that the same sort of rules applied, as for 2.4GHz. Imagine my surprise, when Draytek's Mesh configuration set everything to use the same channel(s). How can that be right?

Why does a SKY Q box think that creating an 80MHz wide channel (36-48) is a good idea? (Apparently it's for its own Mesh network, to talk to other Sky boxes - but it's there by default and needs access to a hidden menu to disable :roll: )

Documentation on 5GHz wireless often states that there are more channels than 2.4GHz, but since they are seemingly always accessed in blocks of 4 - not to mention the ever present threat of "Radar", there aren't really).

The more I find out, the less I know :!:

Yes, so it seems that:

A-Lower = UNII-I
A-Upper = UNII-II
B = UNII-II Extended
C = UNII-III

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oviano
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Sep 2020 08:56 #8 by oviano

hornbyp wrote:
What are these Bands A,B & C of which you speak :?: :?
All the documentation I see, refers to "UNII-I" or "UNII-II" etc etc. Is one American and the other 'European' ? https://metis.fi/en/2018/02/5ghz-channels/

I'm new to 5GHz Wireless and assumed that the same sort of rules applied, as for 2.4GHz. Imagine my surprise, when Draytek's Mesh configuration set everything to use the same channel(s). How can that be right?

Why does a SKY Q box think that creating an 80MHz wide channel (36-48) is a good idea? (Apparently it's for its own Mesh network, to talk to other Sky boxes - but it's there by default and needs access to a hidden menu to disable :roll: )

Documentation on 5GHz wireless often states that there are more channels than 2.4GHz, but since they are seemingly always accessed in blocks of 4 - not to mention the ever present threat of "Radar", there aren't really).

The more I find out, the less I know :!:

In terms of the DrayTek mesh - maybe that was the wireless backhaul using the same channel or something?

Not surprised about Sky Q - you made me double check I've got Wifi disabled on mine, but it is and doesn't appear on a Wifi scan so I'm safe! The thing I found when they installed Sky Q was that they were reluctant to use my Ethernet network or at least they didn't want to disable the Wifi so I had to do that myself later.

More
10 Sep 2020 15:35 #9 by admin
Band C is NOT available - until VERY recently, they were for outdoor links only and required DFS so not permitted for an indoor device. The DrayTek web page describing the bands has been updated (last week) but Ofcom's new rules will take time to be implemented. I don't know if that model would be able to support the C band as an update - it might not be physically capable.

Forum Administrator