Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP903 Mesh Uplink 2.4Ghz Band

More
24 Oct 2020 10:58 #1 by zimma
AP903 Mesh Uplink 2.4Ghz Band was created by zimma
Hi All,

2862ac Mesh Root
AP903 Mesh Node

When the devices are in good range of each other, the AP903 joins the mesh just fine with the uplink to the Mesh Root on the 5Ghz band. However my intended positioning for the AP903 is ever so slightly beyond the range of 5Ghz. When I place the AP903 in this position it refuses to join the Mesh, even though it is still within the range of 2.4. If I take it out of Mesh mode I can link the access point as a universal repeater using the 2.4 band no problem.

So, is the AP903 able to operated Mesh in 2.4. I see in the Mesh Settings there is a setting to set the uplink Band, but the only options I have are 5Ghz or Auto. Neither of which seem to allow 2.4.

Are there some combination of settings set on the 2.4 wifi that is stopping this. The AP903 is running in factory defaults, just receiving the mesh config from the 2862ac.

I certainly don't see the options stated at the bottom of this article https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/5682

Thanks in advance. Keep safe

Graham

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2020 11:42 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: AP903 Mesh Uplink 2.4Ghz Band
There is not (at present?) an option to use 2.4GHz as the mesh link as you point out. Draytek's way of selling you another AP903? (although I suspect it's really to do with bandwidth limitations)

More
24 Oct 2020 11:50 #3 by zimma
Replied by zimma on topic Re: AP903 Mesh Uplink 2.4Ghz Band
Cheers for the reply. Thats a bit naughty of Draytek to quote in that article that the AP903 does support that setting. :x

More
24 Oct 2020 13:06 #4 by piste basher
It's worse than that - on the 912C you can apparently set 2.4GHz as the mesh link - it's just that no other Draytek mesh devices support it :roll:

More
24 Oct 2020 13:14 #5 by zimma
Replied by zimma on topic Re: AP903 Mesh Uplink 2.4Ghz Band
Nice,

I was actually able to lower the RSSI threshold for the mesh root by using the command line dmn set rssi <threshold> so that it would actually allow the remote AP903 mesh node to join the mesh in the end in its intended location. Whilst the signal may be weak, its better than no signal. Its only a very lightly used area providing coverage to an outbuilding where I go to pick stock and need wifi coverage to read the picklist from my email :)

Checking through syslog, I could actually see it denying connections to the AP903 over 5G as it was below the RSSI threshold by only around 2dB.

00:1D:AA:3F:3B:00 (VigorAP802) Wireless 5GHz (Ch48) (-60dBm / 76%)
00:1D:AA:3F:D0:25 (VigorAP903) Wireless 5GHz (Ch48) (-82dBm / 20%)

Seems fairly stable now, -82 is better than nothing.

More
24 Oct 2020 15:05 #6 by piste basher
My wireless node connects at around 20% (sometimes less) and the link appears to be quite stable, so hopefully you should be OK.