DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP 9xx - How important is orientation / placement of units?

• glawrie
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Nov 2020 11:55 #1 by glawrie
Question for information / clarification

I'm planning an upgrade to a small wireless network. We currently use a Draytek router (2830) for the main DSL connection / network control with wifi access provided via some TP-link Powerlink adapters talking to Linksys APs. Plan so far for the new network is to update by replacing the router with a newer Draytek model (once its rumoured GFast compatible router is released) connecting to some AP912Cs in a mesh configuration.

Currently I'm trying to work out how many AP912Cs and where they should be placed - so the wiring required can be planned.

To help with this I'm wondering two things that maybe people here can give some thoughts on:
  • What is the likely practical range of an AP912C to ensure good 5Ghz connections? - the network is in a 1970s era building with a mixture of breeze block and plasterboard internal walls

• Does the orientation / placement of the AP912C affect the range (horizontal or vertical)? - it would be easier to place the units on walls (voids above ceiling are not easily accessed) but at least
one posting here suggests that positioning the AP9xx units away from walls increases their range significantly

Thanks in advance for any guidance on these points.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2020 08:47 #2 by admin
As I recall (not 100%!) the antenna pattern on the AP912 is omnidirectional but biased out from the front face which, as a ceiling device, would be most logical. I'd think 1-2 would be plenty for a typical 4 bed stud/brick house but you didn't say what type of building it is - if it's a large office, it would vary. On the inside of the outer walls, facing in would probably be better. It's really difficult to predict this kind of stuff so why not start with 1 and move it around to check ?

Forum Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.