DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek Mesh - what am I doing wrong?

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
More
10 Nov 2020 15:04 #1 by piste basher
Draytek Mesh - what am I doing wrong? was created by piste basher
I've just been reading the review of the AP1000C in this month's PC Pro. That's an interesting one in itself as it has a dedicated 5GHz backhaul - but backhaul to what one may ask? Other Vigormesh devices don't have this facility....

Still, I digress. PC Pro say "Automatic roaming between nodes, meanwhile, works seamlessly. We tested this by connecting two iPads to a node AP, simultaneously setting both to stream HD video from Youtube, then turning off the node AP. Both iPads silently jumped over to the root AP and our videos continued to play with no interruptions."

OK - I have 3 AP903s in wired node mode, connected to a 2926ac as the mesh root. A further AP903 node in the garage connects wirelessly to one or other of the wired nodes.

Downstairs I have a wired node in the lounge and a wired node in the kitchen next door. I ensured that two iPads were connected to the node in the lounge and set them both to stream video from YouTube. Whilst they were doing this, I switched off the lounge node. Sure enough, the videos appeared to continue to play, but as soon as the buffers were empty they stopped - and both iPads reported that they had "no connection".

Clearly, this is not the "seamless roaming" nor is it the "self-healing" mesh reported by PC Pro.

So where am I going wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
More
10 Nov 2020 16:16 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Draytek Mesh - what am I doing wrong?
A quick follow up - on switching the lounge AP903 node back on I found that the iPads and my iPhone would not re-connect to it unless I told them to trust the certificate again (I use 802.1x with the 2926ac as the Radius server). So not only do the devices not "roam" but they lose their ability to automatically re-connect to the original AP as well.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.