• troozers
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Nov 2020 16:19 #1 by troozers
Update firmware on Mesh Nodes? was created by troozers
Hi all,

I have a Vigor AP903 configured as a Mesh Root, and two Vigor AP802's configured as Mesh Nodes. I am able to login to the Mesh Root (AP903) web interface, and view the status of the mesh, etc. I can also access the web interfaces for both the AP802's, however the admin password for these are not the default "admin" password, nor the password I set on the Mesh Root.

This does mean that I am unable to log into the AP802's to update the firmware to the latest and greatest versions. Does anyone know what the password would be, or the preferred method to update the firmware on the Mesh Nodes (AP802's)?

Many thanks for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
16 Nov 2020 00:28 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Update firmware on Mesh Nodes?

troozers wrote:
I can also access the web interfaces for both the AP802's, however the admin password for these are not the default "admin" password, nor the password I set on the Mesh Root.

This does mean that I am unable to log into the AP802's to update the firmware to the latest and greatest versions. Does anyone know what the password would be, or the preferred method to update the firmware on the Mesh Nodes (AP802's)?

No, it's some sort of bug...

I say that, because someone else had the same issue. See: https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23693&p=96910&hilit=ap802#p96910

You should be able to log on to the AP802 in exactly the same way as the AP903.

FWIW, my advice in the thread above was:-

I wrote:
In that case, remove them from the Mesh, RESET them, then re-add them. When they sync, logon to the GUI and change the password to something you can remember

• troozers
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Nov 2020 12:28 #3 by troozers
Replied by troozers on topic Re: Update firmware on Mesh Nodes?
Hi hornbyp,

I have done this several times, with both nodes that I have. I factory reset them, check that the admin/admin password works before I add them to the mesh. After adding them to the mesh I go to the Web interface for the nodes and it doesn't let me login. Not sure if login is disabled somehow or the password is changed by the mesh setup, but I cannot get past the login screen on the nodes.

It really isn't a case of the password being forgotten.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
17 Nov 2020 16:59 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Update firmware on Mesh Nodes?

troozers wrote:
I factory reset them, check that the admin/admin password works before I add them to the mesh. After adding them to the mesh I go to the Web interface for the nodes and it doesn't let me login.

I'm trying to remember if there is a requirement to change the default password...
Maybe if it's left as default, there's some policy-type feature that's applied as the node joins the Mesh - and the default password is then flagged as invalid or expired?

Easy to check: change all the passwords before joining Mesh (to something 'simple', as there have been issues with 'long' (>15?) passwords on devices, in the past) and then add to Mesh. Assuming that works, you ought to be able to change the passwords later, after joining the Mesh).

• troozers
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Nov 2020 12:46 #5 by troozers
Replied by troozers on topic Re: Update firmware on Mesh Nodes?
I always change the default password on all devices that I install. Can confirm that the Mesh Root's admin password was changed even before I implemented the mesh nodes.

The admin/admin password was on the factory reset AP802's before I added them to the mesh as mesh nodes.

More
18 Nov 2020 14:44 #6 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Update firmware on Mesh Nodes?
Can't speak for 802s as I have 903s, but it seemed to me that the 903's passwords changed to that of the router as soon as they were added to the mesh, even though no "config" had been initiated by me. Either that or "factory reset" had not reset the passwords.....